Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which garage close to Reading ?

GanJ

Hi everyone, 

I moved in Reading from France few weeks ago. 

This week, I drove through the Wales and it was fantastic. 

But, now I need to change the engine oil and make some control about the front bearing (and the rear). 

So, where can I go ? 
Do you know a good garage without excessive rates ?

Regards, 
Guillaume

Hi Guillaume

James is very good - I used him exclusively for my SuperSprint.  I now use SPY Motorsport for my K-Series, who are much closer to me, and also closer to you.  They're at Berinsfield, which is between Reading and Oxford on the A4074.  It's quite a nice drive from Reading.  I've used them for the past 5 years, and I can't recommend them highly enough.  Their rates are very good.

You need to speak to Peter on the mobile number given on their website.  Bear in mind that this is now the race season, so they are very busy preparing and maintaining cars for that, but I'm sure they'll fit you in if they can. 

ps.  Despite my login name I am very much alive.

Can definitely recommend James Whiting, he has been looking after our Caterhams for many years and is excellent. Spy are closer to Reading and just off the Oxford end of the Dorchester on Thames  by pass, visited them recently when could not get the car over to James and Spy were very helpful.

Thank you all for your answers.

Changing the oil doesn't afraid me but there is too much play in the front bearing.
And I already tightened them twice.

It's more for that thing and probably install a baffle instead of the foam. 

I'll contact James to arrange an appointment.

Hi Guillaume. 

Hope you enjoy Reading ! ! ! ! !, 

Nigel, formerly of Reading, now living in New Zealand, now why would I want to move down here?

And you moved there from France ? Why !

Anyway, I hope it isn't too bad for you, a good driving road out of Reading is to leave from Caversham, up the hill through Mapledurham, along the "13 bends of death" towards Crowmarsh, Nanny might have straighened the nasty bends out now, but the roads around there were always nice to drive, apart from the number of cars on the road.

Have fun.

Regards Nigel.