Click here if you are having website access problems ×

dB of a standard 420r with side exhaust

bombus

Morning all,

I have recently purchased a 420r which is proving to be great fun. I'm thinking about attending the 'book a track' Donington track day next Friday but am concerned that I may be not be able to get on the track if my standard side exhaust is in excess of the 98dB noise limit.

I'm interested in the experience of others, should I be ok with the standard setup, or would it be worth purchasing some kind of dB killer??

Colin

I just posted something along these lines, if you are nearby a circuit just take it down there, most will be willing to test it for you then and there ahead of time. 

My 1.6 k series failed at a 98db test, but please dont take that as cause to worry - pretty sure the guy told me to rev wayyyy to high (5.5k revs), I put a decibel slayer on and brought it down to around 94db either way. 

Only problem was getting the fixing bracket over the exhaust lip - we had to modify ours on the day with a pair of pliers and a jubilee clip! 

To avoid the faff of any of this though...I would just keep the revs to a sensible level for you car!

I have a newish 420R with side exit. At a true 5k rpm it measures 102 to 103dB. It failed IVA initially due to static noise, and had to be retested with a rear exit exhaust fitted temporarily. I am looking at a raceco for next year to give me a chance of getting on at Donnington, Bedford etc.

Apologies for the delayed response but thanks all for the feedback.

On speaking to BaT they explained there is no static test but instead monitors at various points around the track. As this was my first track day in a car I intended to be nowhere near  the limits so more than happy short shifting to keep the noise down.

Happy to report that it was a great day to day and no black flags :-).  I think longer term I will have to make a change to the side exhaust for something quieter but keeping the same looks.

BaT ran a very professional event and the instruction from James was a real confidence boost. Looking forward to squeezing a few more in before the end of the summer.

cheers all.