Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting a tax disc holder

rossybee

I want to fit a more secure m/c style tax disc holder to my '97 SS (owned less than a week).

When removing allen screw from base of windscreen, it feels like the nut inside is turning.

Do I have to remove the inner panel to gain access?

Or is it a captive nut?

Any info would be much appreciated, you self-build guys should be able to help 🤔

Thanks,

Ross

Edited by - rossybee on 12 Feb 2003 13:27:58

• Support Team

Ross - yes you need to remove the inner panel (I only know this 'cause, like Rob who just beat me to the post, I don't have one!). If it's rivetted then you'll have to drill them out - replace with self tapping screws so you can get to it again.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

If you have Knee guards which have been pop rivetted into place its not a bad idea to drill out the rivets and remove the panels for access but replace them with black self tapping screws.This way if you need access to this area (light switches etc) its not such chore to remove the panels.

Pre-interchangeable windscreen / aeroscreen, the allen keys just bolt onto a nut inside, so you will have to remove the inner panel to gain access. Caterham now supply captive nuts to make change over easier, so might be worth swapping over if you are dong the job anyway

Thanks for the replies, it would need removing every 6 or 12 months (i.e. every time the tax is renewed, which would be a bit of a bugger). ☹️

What is the inner panel made from?

How does it fare being removed & refitted?

Any alternative locations on the car which would require less f cking about?

Edited by - rossybee on 12 Feb 2003 14:48:58

Ross, to make life easier for changing between Brookland and Windscreen I drilled a 1" hole through the knee panel, this allowed me to get a socket on the nut to stop it turning.

When refitting the nut I ended up Evo Sticking it to a finger tip in order to offer it up to the bolt with out droping the nut down the cavity.

... and like most who have gone this way before me, I have never refitted the windscreen.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

I've fitted my tax disc here and I managed to undo the bolt with a socket on the inside, you will need to slightly bend the knee panel outwards to gain access but you can easily bend and re-shape it after. Have changed the tax a couple of times without any problems. Caterham actually fit their holder to the bolt that holds down the front bonnet clip, at t he bottom I'm considering moving mine here as I think it spoils the line of the car at the base of the windscreen.

Phil 😬

Not sure if he still has 'em (they tend to be in short supply) but James Whiting does a good ali one with C/sunk socket screws around the circumference.

This device has only to be fitted the once then at tax disc change time the screws are removed with a small allen key (supplied). Easy! Also stops the likely 'lads' from easily stealing the t/disc; as two of our members had theirs stolen off their 'screens a while back !!!!

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

tis wot oi got (not sure why the funny accent) *confused*

I picked mine up at a superbike event at donny for 15 quid, which ain't that much

it has survived 18months on the font of my car and so far no problems, mine is black and the finsih hasn't deteriated.

rob

*smile*

My tax holder is screwed to the screen bolt hole but the front of the holder ( with the glass ) is similar to the screw top on a jam jar ie, you just unscrew the front from the backplate - replace the tax disc and screw the front back on. Takes five seconds. Perhaps this is a bike or a classic car item. Made from alley. You can just about see it on the car by following the link in the sig.

cheers Dave.

Who needs a Helmet - Get an Affro !

Clickhere to see Car and AFFRO !

Member 6790

Superlight 0075 - K7 LYT

Dave.

I had one of these to start with, but with one advantage & two main disadvantages.

Plus point = cheap to purchase

Negative points = easy for tikes to remove the tax disc & 2, the damn thing wasn't v waterproof so tax disc went a bit wet/soggy/yuk. Ok if you're a wuss and the car never sees damp let alone wet conditions I 'spose

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

Cheers,

Have ordered the OEM jobbie - as described earlier - waterproofing was quite an important factor as we get frequently p!shy weather in Scotland ☹️ and I want something more secure than the standard inside-of-windscreen affair.

Dave, does that barnet not necessitate a taller FIA bar 🤔 *tongue*

Edited by - rossybee on 14 Feb 2003 20:39:11