Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Idle speed on 1700 xflow

strongy

Just tinkering around today and noticed that there was a very slight wobble on the carbs (40's) to the engine block. I thought maybe this could create an air leak resulting in a lack of suction for the carbs, so I gave each carb securing nut about a half turn.

Engine now runs fine (it was a bit lumpy mid range yesterday - not now), but I notice that the idle speed when warm has now gone up to 1150 rpm up from its usual 1000rpm does this matter?/ should I bring it back down to 1000rpm? 🤔

I am always a bit hesitant about messing with the settings on the carbs because I do not want to create a greater problem and end up getting the whole lot re-set. Any suggestions 🤔

Cheers

Strongy - go on, wake the neighbours. 😬

Previous poster is correct I understand that if carbs are done up too tight vibration can cause frothing in float chambers - The method I was shown was to nip up the nuts so that the metal washers just grip a penny coin placed between the metal washers which contain the rubber grommets.

Sorry my description was mis-leading the movement was between the carbs and the manifold so I will go back out and slacken it again. When you say silight movement is correct, is there a torque setting? or do I just allow a slight wobble?

Cheers

Strongy - go on, wake the neighbours. 😬