Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sigma Throttle Cable : nipple diameter (throttle side)

ChristopheC

Hello

Saturday, the throttle cable of my Sigma Academy (2007) snapped while on track in Croix en Ternois... I made a bodge repair to help me go back home, with the help of jmb7.

Given the price of a new caterham cable (50 pounds...) and given that I only need to replace the cable (outside in good condition), I will only need a push bike brake cable and a solderless nipple.

But I am an idiot ... I threw the snapped cable to the bin and I need to know the nipple diameter before going to the bike shop after work... What's the diameter ? 5mm ? 6mm ? 7mm ?

On the pedal side : I am going to use a solderless nipple. I am concerned by the cable wear because the "nude" cable will continuously touch the pedal hole. Am I too worried or will it cause a premature failure ?

I am concerned by the cable wear because the "nude" cable will continuously touch the pedal hole. Am I too worried or will it cause a premature failure ?

I haven't heard that described as a problem in practice, but I'm not sure what angles people get with DIY cables.

You could use a nipple with a neck that would bear on the edge of the hole in the pedal:

25955.jpg

Or you could add a tubular guide that smooths the transition. Probably easiest using bike bits.

But with either you'll need to know the size of the hole in the pedal.

Jonathan