Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow starter motor swap

Westfield

I am just building up a Xflow to go into my Westfield. At the moment the car has the inertia type starter and I was considering changing to a pre-engaged type as I have a spare lightened flywheel with a pre-engaged starter ring on it. A couple of questions:

Any problems swapping over?

Are there any clearance problems with the bulkier pre-engaged type?

Most important - What car does the pre-engaged starter come off? Can I use a Fiesta type or from any car I am likely to find in my local scrap yard?

If not, does anyone have a part number for a new one?

Thanks

Tony

Cambridge Motorsport make a very good quality "geared" Hi-torque starter that is a direct swap for the old inertia unit. This unit will run on a standard starter ring. You would need to leave the solenoid in the circuit as this part isn't supplied.

I think Brise Components also sell one produced by Edge Motorsport but I don't nkow if it runs on a standard ring.

I got my motor from Lucas.

Xflows can have flywheels with either 120 or 132 teeth, so you just need to check how many the flywheel has.

I had no problems with fitting. I have the Lucas box if you need the part No, my mate bought one direct from his motor factors.

Thanks for the replies. My car has a 4 speed box and the starter is fitted on the exhaust side.

Casbar, A part number for a Lucas starter would be great.

Does the solenoid sit on the top or the bottom of the starter?

Can anyone confirm that the pre engaged ring gear has 132 teeth?

Many thanks

Tony

I thought there was a difference in the "chamfer", to allow quiet engagement of the bendix? on one side of the starter ring being on the rear face for inertia starters and on the front face for pre-engaged types, or vice-versa, could be right up the wrong tree here, someone with more intimate knowledge of these matters will hopefully enlighten us all, cheers, Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.