Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MORE BHP WANTED

dmt1

HI ALL,

I CURRENTLY RUN A SLR AND WANT TO UPGRADE THE ENGINE,I NAVE A BUDGET OF ABOUT 1500 QUID TO INCLUDE LABOUR,WOULD FITTING THROTTLE BODIES CHANGEING THE ECU[EMERALD] SET OF VERNIERS AND SOME LIGHT PORTING BE THE ROUTE TO GO OR WOULD THERE BE A BETTER OPTION?,ALSO COULD SOMEONE RECOMEND SOMEONE WHO WOULD BE ABLE TO DO THE WORK I AM BASED IN DORSET AND COULD TRAVEL IF NEEDED.

REGARDS DARREN

Your SLR already has throttle bodies, depending on which type you have they may be acceptable. The VHPD head does suffer from some anomalies in the machining which can be corrected by careful porting, the cams too are often badly mis-timed. Re-timing the cams with verniers, porting the head and re-mapping the engine using an Emerald M3DK can bring very worthwhile benfits, changing the cams to Piper 1227s can lift the output to 220BHP+ but that would break your budget.

An Emerald ECU and verniers is £835 fitted including cam re-timing, this should yield 195BHP+ without touching the head. A full port of the head would be around £450, lifting and replacing the head would be around £300. A set of 1227 cams is £290 and re-shimming would be around £75, on top of that there would be the cost of a gasket set at £65 if you were lifting the head.

Oily

Darren

SLRs already have throttle bodies, some of the older ones are not that great as they have the dog leg manifold but I'm not aware of VHPD engines with a plenum.

Given the VHPD engine in the SLR is already pretty highly specced, you're not going to get much for your £1500 without changing the bottom end strength to cope.

I think that the SLR bottom end is good for 7800-8000 in stock form which is more than enough for 200BHP , that's a pretty good increase over the stock offering.

The first stage of modification is to get the best from the existing setup which for all sorts of reasons leaves plenty of room for improvement.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 12 Feb 2003 09:18:24

Enter one satisfied punter. *thumbup* 😬

As described already, Emerald and verniers are the first thing to do. A superb tweek which really makes the standard VHPD sing. Makes it more friendly on the road, with a slightly improved and flattened torque curve and a marginally higher peak power value too. No downsides. *thumbup*

In addition, it might be worth asking DVA to port-match your induction side too. There's quite a bit of scope for smoothing over the steps in the casting of the standard Rover/Caterham VHPD throttle bodies. DVA cleans this up a treat, and you still don't need to lift the head. I would imagine that all this is well within your budget.

To go any higher needs careful consideration and may require more budget than you think. Again, DVA is your best bet for qualifying what works and how much.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours