Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Speedometer malfunction when hot

redlight

My 5 year old speedo, electronic, stops working when it gets hot. It is affected by the foot brake, falls to zero, comes back when brake released. It also dances with the indicator.  Some improvement with a new earth wire to the ignition lock. 

The speedo works fine when cool. 

If if you have had this problem and found a solution please would you let me know. 

This is almost certainly the sensor .My car used to do this after getting hot on track days . 

Caterham changed the speedo unit but the problem returned .I finally sorted it by changing the gap on the sensor ( trial and error ) .It seemed to be caused by heat soak from the brakes .

Problem hasnt returned .

Thank you Jonathan and John, the fix seems to have worked. Just been for a 55 mile drive with the heater on and suffered no speedo problems. Heat seems to cause the problem. 

I did make a couple of changes to the suggested procedure,  I drilled a 3.5 hole in the tube and tapped it to 4mm using a bolt to fix the new earth. I also cut the old earth wire leaving a tail on the connector block, this was then soldered to the new earth wire. Once done it was heat shrink wrapped, remember to put this on the wire first. I could not see that the old earth wire could be removed from the connector as suggested in the Workshop Note. The old earth wire was then taped back into the loom. 

Thank you for your help, it is good to post and get a sensible solution!

Roger Ashelford