Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX propshafts

Anthony

Hi, have now become quite paranoid.

I have a 1990 Dedion X-flow chassis, which I an looking to drop a VX engine, Caterham bellhousing and 6 speed box in.

The engine mounting points appear to be the same.

Will the gearbox mounting point and prop-shaft length be the same ?

Good news is that the engine mount locations on the chassis are the same. You just need the right engine mounts from Caterham and they locate onto the same rubber mounts bolted to the same holes on the chassis. For the Vauxhall you also need two ally bobbins on the inlet side between the mount and the engine, these space the mount away from the engine so that the same mount is used whether you have Caterhams dry sump pump or not.

Sadly props and gearbox mounts are not so easy. There are two props, one for xflow and one for Ford and Vauxhall, so you need to change props. Not sure about gearbox mounts on the 6 speed, is this in the same place as on the five speed? If so then I guess you will need to move it back in the tunnel to suit the shorter prop.

Some chassis' had a dual purpose gearbox mount, as your's is around the time they were offering both engines it's possible you have one of these. Easy to spot there are two sets of holes in it. If not then it's pretty easy to bodge up a new mount and mig it into the tunnel. I've gone xflow to Vauxhall then 5 speed to 4 speed then back to 5 speed..... My gearbox mounts have gone up and down the tunnel like a yo-yo.

I've just had my prop shortened to suit my Ford axle, so included a new flange on the prop end. Total cost was £75 inc VAT and postage... £55 without.. very good service, 4 days I think it took.

Doh, should have said who! www.propshaft.co.uk, speak to Peter.

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Edited by - philwaters on 13 Feb 2003 13:14:06