Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clutch click noise- Now Sorted!

mossy7

Quick question before I start taking car apart.. The clutch pedal has started making a loud click noise on full depression, ie at the last inch of travel. There feels to be a little resistance and then it gives and clicks. I'm thinking the cable catching somewhere, maybe in the pedal box. 

Anyone come across this before? If so wat s it and what is the fix please?

Andy 

All of the following while getting someone else to work the pedal up and down:

1. You might get a bit of localisation by using a stethoscope at the points of interest.
  2. Yes, have a look in the pedal box. Do you know the point about adjusting the cable at that end to get the optimal angle of action?
  3. If that doesn't show anything try disconnecting the cable at the clutch end and feeling the action at the cable and inspecting the bit that gets exposed.

Jonathan

From the Assembly Guide, my bold bits:

"The clutch cable is fitted with adjusters at both ends so that it can be adjusted at both the bell-housing and pedal box. Set the pedal box end so that a minimum length of outer cable protrudes past the locating bush into the pedal box then adjust at the bell-housing end until a satisfactory clutch pedal position is achieved (4 threads showing through the yellow bush is a good starting point). The clutch 'bite' point should be set according to personal preference ensuring that it is not adjusted so as to prevent the clutch from fully engaging or disengaging."

Jonathan

My old Dad popped over and offered to help. Had the pedal box off and problem solved. It turned out it was the linkage for the clutch cable fouling on the arm for the brake light switch. Only by a few thou mind. Few minutes with a file and all sorted. 

Cheers for the advice people.