Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ignition issues on Cross Flow

Peter J Farnfield

I've encountered a mystery problem on my ignition system. The root problem is that the system is producing no spark. I've renewed the electronic ignition, the coil and the rotor but to no avail. Even when the coil is hot wired directly to the battery and the HT lead is connected directly to a plug (new) when the a spark is induced by scratching the terminal no spark is transmitted to the plug. The HT lead is working (it was taken off another car and worked there). The coil is a Lucas "Sport" DLB 102 standard wet 12 V coil. Is there any reason that anyone might know of that would prevent the coil working? We've tried other coils, one from another working car and the existing in my car though the top was cracked hence the replacement. I'm trying to prepare the car for a tour of Italy next month (something I tried to do two years ago) and I'm beginning to wonder if the trip is cursed! 

Are you testing for a spark by holding the end of the plug near the block?

... when the a spark is induced by scratching the terminal no spark is transmitted to the plug.

Where's the earth (that would be through the distributor in a traditional set-up) in that rig?

1. Have you tested for +12V at the coil LT positive terminal?
  2. Have you checked and tested the earth from the block and the ECU/ test rig?
  3. Measure the coil internal resistance (even though you've swapped for a good one). (That page also shows how to test the coil LT negative but I'd use a meter rather than a test lamp.)

It's hard to test the HT side directly. One Member has the kit. But with a month to go I'd be considering a professional auto electrician.

Jonathan