Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Difficulty getting from 5th to 4th

Scotland North AR

Afternoon, I have a Sigma 150 with five speed Ford type 9. One problem I seem to keep getting is, particularly on long drives going reasonably briskly, changing down from 5th to 4th for overtaking is that the gear lever will come out of fifth but will not go past neutral into any other gear. After a bit of faffing about, I can get it into fourth or third and continue on. By this time I have lost a lot of momentum and have several other cars in my boot. It could just be hamfistedness but doesn't happen with any other gear change.

Any thoughts?

Mine was similar, stiction across the gate & pushing down for reverse was very stiff. Richard Young suggested squirting some oil down alongside the gator. I had my doubts but it made a huge difference. 

Put some newspaper under the car, use an oil can with a narrow spout & some light oil like duck oil & give it a good soaking. I bet you will find it improves things. 

Ive finding that mine is increasingly difficult getting into reverse smoothy.  Im thinking possible clutch adjustment as everything else seems fine.  On mine , with an under dash handbrake, removing the tunnel top is fairly easy - it might be worth considering this  to make lubricating the gear shift bearing easier/ less messy.  Infact, I might squirt some ACF50 in mine this evening to see if it helps with the reverse engagement. 

I did this little job tonight. Took the gear selector off (really easy), only found I haven't a rose jointed bearing. It's a black plastic sort of castellated ball under a rubber boot. There was no corrosion apparent, so I gave a few squirts of blue lithium grease on either side of the bearing and on the selector rod on the gearbox tail. Doesn't appear to have made much difference, so I guess I didn't have a problem. 

For anyone else with the symptoms in the original post, I had similar with a Sigma engined car and it turned out to be impending failure of the hydraulic system and stranded me 500 miles from home. Message sent.