Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter issues

A_redstone

help !

What an embarrassment when you stall and cannot start at a roundabout of a major junction and hack everyone off for the next hour until the AA arrive !.....that was my night - again.....

i have been having starter issues all year , and cannot get to the bottom of it.

the AA chap tonight thinks that I have a dodgy electrical connection, I had no volts on idle when I stopped but after 30 mins drive home and he checked it again there were over 13 volts charging at idle ?

whenever this happens it's only a short distance from home , never on long journeys .....

I have had it checked by the local garage and 3 AA men and cannot get this sorted.

Is it not charging the battery when in garage ?

is it the alternator not charging on idle ?

is the battery failing ?

i am at my wits end !

thanks for any advice.........

1. Any hint of clicking when you try to crank?
  2. Any funny behaviour from the ignition warning light?
  3. What's the battery voltage at rest, during cranking and at 3,000 rpm?
  4. Disconnect, inspect, wiggle, clean and refit all the relevant cables, including the big ones at the battery, all at the alternator, all at the starter and the earths.
  5. Repeat 3.

Jonathan

You need a conditioning charger, not a traditional trickle charger.

I think that most 7 owners seem to be using CTEK products but I've also been happy with other makes.

Models vary with how big a battery they will manage. Do you want to be able to use it on bigger batteries than the 7's?

I think that not requiring the bonnet to be removed is a good idea. Do you have a power socket already?

Jonathan

It doesn't have to be a Banner.

My recommendation for most general purpose 7s is a Powervamp, but they recently changed the models. I'll check and post.

This might need changing or fettling the cage/ strap and changing some leads.

Jonathan

PS: It's a really good idea to check the charging bits are working correctly before installing the new battery.

Ok - so summary update of what I know so far

- car starts fine at home 

- multiple starts tested no issues - 12 in a row last night

- on charge all night via the CTEK conditioner

- car starts today multiple times no problems 

- I have stripped the cables to battery - cleaned up and apply Vaseline 

So what does that take out of the equation ? 

- battery holds charge

- starter motor ok 

***the issue comes after a short drive of say up to 15 miles , after that it will struggle to start if at all

so what do we think leads to that issue ? 

Cheers ! andy 

You need to do those voltage readings to tell us about the condition of the battery and the charging system, especially with the previous erratic readings and the external appearance of the battery.

But what happens during those problematic attempts to start: does it turn over at all, and if it does does it seem as fast as usual?

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan

multimeter is on order ! 

The AA man got no volts on idle last night when it would not start, when I got home we were getting 13v on idle.

the car just struggled to turn over, it did not have the power to turn the crank until it got boosted by the AA van......

Yup, great little things. Started my Crossflow when I had starting issues.

(Mine was a faulty alternator, I did wire in a voltmeter dial and put it on the passenger side knee panel. You can see it from drivers side and is nicely tucked away).

My other intermittent starting issue traced back to a tired immobiliser, since replaced.

They sound amazing... must persuade my current garage powerpack that it's finally time to meet its maker.

But that reminds me of my blind spot concerning lithium batteries for 7s. I should have included that option in the advice above in post #16. There's a recent thread about them: let me know if you can't find it.

Jonathan

I can see threads on lithium but this is just a pocket sized emergency tool

a bit like tyre weld ! Emergency spare charger !

apprarently it can drain a charged iPhone to power itself if it's not fully charged  and of course you can use it to charge all types of electronic devices in emergency or whilst camping etc