Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

X-Flow Alternator - How is yours Mounted?

New Cat

Having had some alternator troubles over at the Silverstone Classic, I'm now very keen to improve the existing setup for how it is mounted if at all possible. I'm also looking to find out what exactly to order from the likes of Redline.

I've owned the car for 12 years and its always been fixed with a single bolt into the engine block at the bottom and a fixing on top into the bracket. The second hole for it to fix to the block has never had anything and consequently its always seemed to be in a slightly twisted and in a compromised position. Access the the middle hole into the block seems to be extreme;ly tight and compromised and its not at all clear what would go in there if anything. 

How is yours fitted? Do you know the specification of the bolt/s / studs? Got any photos? :) 

Many thanks!

Jon

There should be bracket on engine block that is bolted to block with 2 bolts. Bottom of Alternator is fixed to this with nut and bolt at front and back. Top of alternator is attached with bracket to water pump adjustable at alternator end. Will send photos when I get home if you want retrobolts.co.uk do packs of nuts and bolts for crossflow engines. I live near Blandford so welcome to meet up sometime.

Just checked mine, it's mounted with two bolts in the bottom, which act as a hinge, top is secured by one bolt on the adjuster bracket.

this picture is taken from the garage floor upwards, you can see the cabin side bolt by the wire, then the front bolt near the bottom of the picture. You can see the black bracket which bolts into the block, fastened by two bolts. Never had to remove that. 

image_63.jpeg.c48e9504871157a3a5993c18e70cfd80.jpeg

This is taken orienting downwards, showing the single adjuster bolt and bracket.

image_65.jpeg.604c45754b3c1545c7a604845a0c4dea.jpeg

This is taken side on, the clip is over a cover I bought which goes on the end of the cables, the car didn't have one originally, but after I had some shorts and intermittent alternator function after some heavy rain I fitted it as it seems very prone to the elements down there. Under a fiver and haven't had any problems since, touch wood.

image_66.jpeg.3e664ae7a2b09ba0eba27a1bf26c0ef3.jpeg

Thank you very much for the extensive tips and advice. 

Sorry for the bad pics - pouring with rain and poor lighting. 

The alternator seems to be stamped Made in France? Also I'm not convinced the bracket is the same? Certainly the current arrangement makes it very difficult to connect a second lower bolt.

Any further thoughts much appreciated! It might well be good to catch up with you Nick at some stage (I'm in Wimborne) to take a closer look. 

Overhead.jpg.39c4b540b153b6641e74dfe527875132.jpg

Alternator.jpg.e4cc40d378265608225877dcfdc71e9d.jpg

I'd get under and have a good look if those two lower lugs can fit the block bracket, or not. I know I replaced mine without raising the car. 

The important factor I guess is if those lugs match the bracket mounting points?

When I replaced my alternator the supplier swapped it for one from a Capri,but did take a couple of bits off the old one, but I don't remember it being the mounting points.

ive seen a Brise mounting bracket here: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/alternators-starter-motors/brise-mounting-bracket-ford-x-flow-bda-twin-cam  seems expensive and the important factor is that those lugs fit your alternator? 

Hi NewCat,

Yes, looks like a Valeo unit (French). I had that originally on mine but when it failed about eight years ago I replaced it with the Lucas ACR17 unit - fits as people have advised - two mounting points off the bottom of the block (pivot points) and one nut/bolt to the 'arc' arm from the top so you can slide the unit to get good tension. I have the rear clip/cover on mine too....a good idea (although the Lucas unit has it as standard I think....).

Originally mine had one long bolt at the bottom from memory (?)  but I changed that to separate nuts/bolts to get better torque on each mounting point when I replaced with the Lucas unit.

Good luck with it.

Dave

As per my clutch problem posting i am stripping the engine ready for removal.

the alternator appears to be french as in there is a sticker which starts FRA.

2 bolts at the bottom and one at the top on the adjuster.  Due to inteference the adjuster slot is on the block side

As per my clutch problem posting i am stripping the engine ready for removal.

the alternator appears to be french as in there is a sticker which starts FRA.

2 bolts at the bottom and one at the top on the adjuster.  Due to inteference the adjuster slot is on the block side