Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pressure? What pressure????

JAG

I hope Cat_man doesn't think he is just being ignored, but all other contributors are correct in this instance. For K-series injection engines, 3 Bar is correct. All fuel injection pressures are much higher than the feed pressure to a carb float chamber.

On my big engine, the fuel pressure was set to 57psi in order to meet flow requirements.

My regulator is set at 54psi at the moment. The pump is quite happy achieving this pressure in the rail.

Not looked to see what happened to the pressure when one of the injectors was on full open while we

did the bench flow test.

54psi = 3.7 bar.

Not sure if I have the standard Rover pump as it is the pump/tank off Arnie's car.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

It is the combination of pressure and flow that is important. Arnie had a problem where his fuel pressure regulator wasn't big enough to vent excess fuel at idle because he had uprated his fuel pump. The more usual scenario is that the pump doesn't have enough oomph to sustain pressure when the injectors are delivering fuel at maximum power. This is a very bad scenario as it leads to lean mixtures just when you don't want them.

I was referring to when Arnie upgraded his bag tank and put a super-dooper fuel pump in. I think the tank you have will probably have the JPE-spec pump (originally from the 220 Tomcat Rover?). I am currently using this with a standard K-series fuel rail, so I very much doubt it would cause problems if you have a sensibly specced FPR.

I've asked around and have been led to believe that mine has the JPE spec fuel pump too. I'm also running with the standard rail and FPR. So far, no other component has complained when I up-sized the injectors.

I'd still like to know what fuel pressure I'm seeing through the different load/speed sites but I'm encouraged that my injector duration decreased when I up-sized the injectors.

I'm waiting for Spa to bring out a fuel level/fuel pressure gauge. I might be old before this happens though. *thumbdown*

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Thanks for all the info guys.

If you wanted to monitor fuel pressure I think you could use a capilliary type oil pressure guage tapped into the fuel line between the pump and fuel rail. It should have the correct range and be suitable for continuos use with petrol.

Justin *cool*

JAG, that's certainly one way, thanks *thumbup* but I don't really want to drill another 52mm hole in my dash to accommodate such if one day [sigh] Spa 🙆🏻 would produce what I want which would fit in the fuel level gauge hole already in use. *thumbdown*

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Peter,

That figures as the thing has a Rover sitcker on it.

I bought the little SBD sold oil filled pressure gauge. You get need a little ali inline adaptor that the gauge screws into. Set it up and then remove it and plug the hole with the supplied bung.

2 min job to test the pressure in the future that way.

Bill S of mailing list fame said you could set the or test the pressure reg using an airline and seeing what

pressure air started pushing past. Not tried this so cannot confirm.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here