Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How much for a 2nd hand 2.0 zetec?

Jaseb

I agree on the pricing, round the 300 mark.

If you have not done business with the vendor before, idealy you ought to see the engine in the donor vehicle asnd check the odometer reading personally.

Be suspicious over the year and milage. Check casting dates on the engine and associated bits.

If it seems iffy, walk away and find another. (I got caught out like this and had great trouble getting my money back, second engine I found was cheaper and has been superb).

Good luck,

allen

PS. email me if you want a standard 1800 flywheel

Cheers Guys, the plan is to get the engine,then buy the bits to make it fit/work over the coming year or 18 months - so she doesn't notice the garage filling up bit by bit and my bank account emptying all in one hit! Then fit it the winter after next when my XF is truly thrashed! Second hand XF anyone...

Has anyone had hassles with early engines, they're prone to flexing apparently and the mk2 is the one to have, the one I'm looking at is a 96 which is on the cusp of the change and I don't know which model it is (haven't seen it). If anyone knows of probs with the early model I'll check further or even back off completely and look for another.

ta

A bit late with a posting here, I bought a 94 motor out of a burn out with a unsubstanciated 64000 miles for £150. Its in the car now, only mod was to fit the FZ2002 cams, did 2500 miles last year and it ran great. So impressed I bought a 95 out of an heavy rear end impact for spares. This one had 64000 miles on the speedo and looked like a very clean car (before the crunch) and the engine ran beautifully with quiet tappets from cold, paid £250 for that. It looks to be a cleaner engine than the one in the car having checked the top and bottom of it very briefly.

My advice is the engine should be OK providing the usual visual checks for leaks etc. reveal no nasties, both my engines were oil tight as bought with no external damage.

I loved my x-flows but the Zetec has made the car much better.

Paul

I ran a Nov '92 1800 zetec engine(with allegedly 40000 miles when fitted by the previous owner in 1999) in my Westfield for 18 months until I sold the car with no problems and that included track days and racing, they seem to take any abuse you can throw at them!