Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Schools car

mossy7

Turns out that my S3 Roadsport was originally a "Schools car." Can any one enlighten me some more on this? Purely out of interest in the history of my 7. ( although it may explain some of the slightly less perfect detailing! ) 

• Leadership Team

Caterham had a very good scheme where for a large refundable deposit school children (teenagers) could build a seven under supervision. The car is then sent back to Caterham and given a check over. My school have built 5 (although not your car from your description).

It was a terrific scheme and I can think of a few pupils that were very inspired. A few went onto study automotive engineering. 

Very sadly Caterham have stopped it, and we are just finishing our last car. I suppose the cost was too great and the benefits not tangible. However, it did generate a lot of interest from parents.

We are now thinking what to do with our little workshop. Restoring old cars raises more H&S issues and the kids get filthy. Building a new seven was ideal - everything was nice and clean. I'd like to think that he build quality of our cars was good - our lot took took it quite seriously. 

Simon

700newtons, 

That's really interesting. Mine was originally a 2015 S3 Roadsport 125 in plain red. I have since had the engine and other bits added. Do you think it may be one of your five? 

Lotus boy, thanks for the info. 
Andy 

700newton's, do take a look at Greenpower.co.uk.

If you want to chat about it pm me your details as I now work for them. Whilst it's a simpler build if using one of our kits you can also design and build from scratch.

Then the students can get involved in our race events with lots more areas to learn about.

We also have regional ambassadors who can visit schools to chat and assist.

Steve.

I bought a 1400cc 'classic' in 2013 which turned out to have questionable build quality when it was delivered and I'd had a good nosey about. When interrogated CC admitted it was a schools car but checked by them. It was so bad I rejected the car, with no questions asked they took it back and refunded  the cost. It basically need a re-skin.

It seems that at the end of the model run they gave the remaining kits to the schools to finish and then sold them as full CC assembled prices. Not pleased.