Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brakes Arrrrrggggggh

Colin Grundy

Help please

I feel such a prat asking this, but having taken good advice from a few threads ago I have decided to change the rear pads for the correct ones. Question is before I dive headlong into it and risk mullering anything, how do you change rear pads?

This is brand new and hasn't even got fluid in it yet so hopefully there will be no winding back of the pistons etc.

Idiots guide anyone please, and I promise I'll never show my face again *confused*

Thanks in antisipation

🤔 *mad*

Colin, undo the two bolts holding the caliper to the caliper mounting bracket. You need to use two spanners when doing this, one to hold the sliding pin I think its 15mm, and the other to undo the actual bolt 13mm. Carefully ease the caliper away, take care as they have a rigid brake pipe but there is plenty of movement but don't go berserk! Lift out the pads and away you go. Also use copper ease on re-assembly it will help to stop brake squeel.

Phil *thumbup*

Phil has the right idea - only you only need to undo 1 bolt. The caliper body will then swivel on the other bolt/pin and the pads can be lifted straight out.

One more thing Colin; if (as Phil suggests) your caliper has rigid copper or steel pipe running straight to it (without a flexible) you should fit a flexible pipe ASAP. The caliper needs to slide to allow for wear and pad compression during use and with a rigid pipe plumbed into the caliper this action will be severely restricted.

The rigid pipe will give poor pedal feel and limit the action of the hand brake - God knows how Caterham get away with doing this *confused*

Justin *cool*

Very grateful for your advice guys. Jobs a good un. Totally agree regarding the flexible brake pipes to the calipers, what a crap idea putting ridgid pipes on.

Just a point, you have to take the pad nearest the adjuster out fiest or the other one wont come out.

Moral of the story.........read the build manual carefully first Doh!! 🙆🏻

Thanks again

*thumbup*