Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Another lowered floor question

to01297

Good afternoon and apologies if this question has been asked before.i ordered a lowered floor for my metric chassis which arrived today. The inside edge has a lip and holes drilled already but the outside edge is straight with no lip or holes,does any one know how this fits. It might be obvious once I remove the old floor but I would like to know before I start in case I have the wrong floor. Thanks

You have to drill out the lower rivets holding the interior trim to the chassis, slip the vertical edge of the lowered floor between the trim and chassis and drill / rivet with the steel pop rivets.

you'll need a strip of ally to go between the side skin and chassis when you re-rivet it - same thickness as original floor which is now removed.

Ian

Your old floor fits between the bottom of the chassis rail and the exterior side skin.  That piece of floor will no longer be there.

You could just rivet it back up, but it will probably buckle and wrinkle the side skin.  Instead a strip of aluminum will take up the space the old floor was occupying.  A lot of people cut the strip directly from the old floor itself. 

Might also be worth looking out the Caterham 7 episode of Wheeler Dealers as he replaces the existing floors with lowered ones in the car and runs into exactly this issue - and solves it neatly. YouTube is your friend. Series 12 ep 13 I think.