Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tappet noise on Sigma 140?

mossy7

Hi,

I picked up my new ( to me anyway) 7 yesterday. It's a Sigma 140. There is a distinct noise rather like tappets from the engine. I suspect it's the injectors or a " they all do that Sir" something, but as its my first Caterham and I wasn't clever enough to build it myself I wondered if its a problem or just normal? 

Jonathan, thanks for the reply. I have found the local group and that probably is the best approach. I just wondered if it was a common thing or problem that others had come across, I have searched the forum but not found anything relevant. 

I had my car out for the first time in about 2 months yesterday.  While sat at the lights, I was thinking to myself about how unpleasant it sounds at idle.  Without actually recording it the best way I can describe is a mechanical click / tap at a regular fast rate.  My understanding is that it is the injectors but don't quote me on that.

If it is any reassurance, pretty much any ford engine from the last 10 years sounds the same.  I have the 2 litre duratec in my fiesta and it is exactly the same.  Although because of all the sound proofing you need to get your head under the bonnet to hear it.

Hopefully it is a case of "they all do that sir" otherwise both or our cars (and my daily) could be in trouble!