Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What is the S3 Usable Fuel Tank Capacity

Jim 123

The Handbook states that my S3 has a Fuel Tank Capacity of 36 litres.  As the tank runs down, there will be a point where the fuel pump starts sucking air, although there will still be some fuel remaining in the tank.  I've no idea how much would be left in the tank at that stage, and don't really want to find this out on an autobahn.

I'll be going on a trip soon, and know that I am currently getting around 7.8 miles per litre. So if I fill the tank, I should be able to project how far I can drive before I need to go hunting for a petrol station.

I'd appreciate advice on what I should figure to be the usable volume in my tank if someone can assist.

My rule of thumb "sur le continent" was to start looking when the gauge registered 1/2 full. With a 2 hour lunch break filling stations can be hard to find sometimes. 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank I needed to stretch my legs anyway ....

As a rule of thumb don't let the tank get less than 1/4 full. This is mainly to ensure that the fuel pump, which is usually cooled by fuel, does not overheat. Running out of fuel is NOT recommended!

Fuel can be found on any motorway in France 24/24 seven  days a week but it tends to be very expensive (but cheaper than in the UK!). The cheapest fuel is usually found in supermarkets (not actually 'in') but you know what I mean. There is a variation of about 15% so stick to supermarkets if you can. Most supermarkets have at least one pump which will take credit cards (including UK ones) at any time.

Jim,

I have recently acquired a 2010 Roadsport 125: consumption on this appears to be something like 5 gallons from gauge full to gauge red area -  which equates to 185 miles. I have been told that some academy based cars were only fitted with 25 litre fuel tanks.

Not been brave enough yet to drive on through the gauge red area to find out if there is anything left in the tank.

I've not heard that Academy tanks were sometimes smaller before - weren't they all Roadsport spec?  Aside from bag tanks there is only one Rover tank showing on Caterhamparts so hoping this is a myth, otherwise I'll be chugging to a halt somewhere in Normandy on Friday...

• Area Representative

I frequently drive both the Crossflow and the 21 to red on the gauge. So put 60 litres (or a bit more) into the 21, 30+ into the Crossflow.

It all depends upon the relative urgency of refuelling and getting to my destination on time.