Click here if you are having website access problems ×

trailer balance mods

fatcat

I've got a BJ "A" series trailer with the typical tyre rack that stands up over the bed at the front of the trailer and a jerrycan box mounted on the towing frame. I don't fancy trying to back the SV onto the trailer so the heavy end of the SV (engine) + 40 litres of petrol (approx 40kg) in jerrycans and, say, 8 wheels (at least 80kg) are all well forward of the trailer wheels. The trailer is already nose heavy from the weight of the towing frame, jerrycan box and tyre rack, so when fully laden, the nose weight could be approaching 150 kg which seems excessive and probably explains why it isn't as stable as I think it ought to be. (I've got a nasty suspicion that it may also be illegal, anyone know ?)

(FWIW, I'm reluctant to stick the bathroom scales under the jockey wheel 'cos with my luck they will break or go wrong in some way and then it'll be my fault that 'er indoors' diet isn't working.)

Now the tyre rack sits comfortably above the bonnet height of the SV and it looks perfectly feasible to move the rack to the centre of the trailer right above the leading pair of wheels without getting in the way of the SV. This ought to do wonders for the weight distribution. Has anyone tried this or got any views on the wisdom of trying ?

regards

fc

I've moved the wheel rack back approx 1/3rd of the way along the bed of the trailer, which seems to work quite nicely.

I'm also looking at mounting a fuel tank underneath the trailer bed between the axles with a small electric transfer pump to refuel the 7. Biggest stumbling block was finding someone who could explain the appropriate regulations to me - looks like it's not too hard provided you are carrying less than 250 liters of fuel.

Miraz

I'm not sure of the dimensions you've got to play with (ie bed length) but can you not just stop the car nearer to the back of the trailer? I used to do this with my Westfield but I had around 18inches to play with.....

noseweight should normally be between 50 - 100kg as specified in the cars handbook *wink*

Buy your own scales, they're really cheap at the moment. Or buy the missus a nice new electronic set on the proviso you get the old ones for the garage.....

Then move the car around on the trailer (with tyres and jerrys in place) and find the point where you get a nose weight of what you want (75kg?). And if you have to load it backwards to achieve it then so be it, but I doubt it. Then mark that point and always load to there or better yet get some of BJ's finest wheel chocks and bolt them on to suit.

Can't see why you shouldn't move the tyre rack either if that helps.