Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Self Build Cycle Wing Position HELP please

callumskeat

Hi Folks,

i am building a 360R and am struggling to locate the cycle wings on the wing stays. The build manual talks of pre-drilled holes, which my stays do not have. 

Can anyone let me know the measurement between the leading edge of the cycle wing and the bolts please? Very grateful for some help here?

Thank you

Callum

• Area Representative

Callum

I think for IVA purposes the leading edge of the wing must be level with a vertical line level with the rim of the wheel. Suggest you check this out before you drill. I'm sure Caterham will advise. 

I recall that the IVA requirement is that (in side view) the wings have to cover at least 30 degrees forward of the hub vertical centre line and at least 50 degrees to the rear.  From a top looking down perspective you also need to ensure longitudinal conformance. There should be no part of the tyre or wheel that sits outboard of the wing edges.

Check to make sure that the wings do not touch the body/brake lines when on full lock before you start to drill things.  Best to do this with the car on the ground and not on stands.

The IVA Inspection Manual is downloadable, and worth having on hand.

If you check the underside of your cycle wings, there should be self adhesive dots that show where the holes get drilled in the wings.

I think a lot of people use big Heads or Silkoflex and don't drill the stays. It might be worth looking at Daniel French's blog and some of the others.

My car is 2009  but swapped the wings to Carbon so took off the Silkoflex and used Big heads and cable ties for the replacement.

Mrp

• Area Representative

Callum

​Definitely recommend big head fasteners. In my experience sticking direct to the wingstays results in failure when powder coat separates from the stays. Bigheads also enable wings to be quickly and easily removed for cleaning and maintenance. 

I have used Bigheads with cable ties on top of wing and Bigheads with threads at the bottom. Latter allows easy fixing of mud flaps if you so desire. I know mud flaps are frowned on by many, but if you use the car it prevents an awful lot of gravel rash and keeps the car cleaner. 

If you order the Big Heads there are 2 different sizes.  You need the larger 15 mm fasteners. They bond to the wings with Sikaflex 292i. 

May I suggest that you give some thought to the Repeater wiring?  The advantage of the Big Heads is that the wings can be removed if needed.   I didn't like the Manual advice on Repeater wiring for a number of reasons, one of which was to allow the wings to be taken off to give service access as this can be troublesome if the Repeater live lead is routed inside the Wing Stay as per the Manual. The other issue is the Wing Stay fixing of the "very short" Repeater earth lead. I extended my earth leads so they could be connected inside engine bay and away from the ravages of road salt.  I then shrink wrapped both the Live and Earth leads which I routed around the Wing Stays and cable tied them in place. Visually it look just as good.

The other thing that may help is to ensure you protect your Repeater Wires with Silicon/Plastic Hose where they pass into the Engine Bay.  This is an IVA requirement that you will find at the end of your build.  It's much easier to fit this protection whilst feeding the wires through. 

• 2 weeks later...

Callum,

Have a look at Dainel's latest post if you haven't already made a choice! I have had 3 failiures on my car, one with the zip ties and the other 2 times the adhesive failed. I think the contact patch is quite small with the bigheads and this may have caused the issue. The latest was on track at Croft on Friday, where I had to duct tape it back on to complete the track day! They have now both been removed whilst I consider the best long term fix!

If you have made a choice what option did you go for?

Gregs

If you go for big heads, you will see that 2 different sizes are available.  Go for the big heads with 15mm gap between the fastener loops I.e. the larger size option.  This gives a secure fit over the wing stays.