Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Impreza

I reply to every thread

Anyone on here owned or driven a Impreza "Classic" fitted with a "quickshift"? If so what was the shift/change like?

I bought a 5 door 98 Turbo UK spec about a month ago. I test drove 3 (I think) & ended up buying from an official Subaru dealer. The car has 57K on it & came with the Subaru warranty & a history of course. The original dealer told me that the shift was standard, ie not quickshift.

Within a couple of days the gearchange was getting on my T*ts. 1st to 2nd & particularly 2nd to 3rd were baulky. 2nd to third I'd say 50% of the time it feels like the gear is "just" engaging - almost snatchy - difficult to put across in words so hope you get my drift. The change feels almost over positive - almost like a dog box. You can feel the cogs engaging. Put it like this ...........The quaiffe straight cut heavy duty box in my Caterham has a more pleasing shift.

So I make a call to Subaru warranty & book it into my local Subaru dealer - not the one I purchased from. They drive it & have it for 8 days and I'm told that they've changed the synchro's on 1/2 & 3/4.....I saw the bill to Subaru warranty but wasn't given a copy. This dealer tells me that the car does have a quick shift fitted & that that makes the change more "notchy"

Absolutely no difference in driving. Still doesn't feel right to me.

I'm the kind that worries. If I'm told by someone who KNOWS that the change should be like that & that it's down to the quickshift then fine I'll get on with. It's just that the dealer service managers seem sooooo vague. Getting a diagnosis & an explanation of what they'd done was like drawing teeth. Of course I'm thinking now why have they done what they've done (with the syncros) if the change should be like that?

So what do you lot think?

I used to drive a CRX, my missus has an MX5 & I also have a quaiffe box in the 7 as mentioned above. I've been driving for 17 years so I've seen a fair few boxes in my time (so to speak) & none have felt like this.

Hi Aves

I ran a '98 Scooby with a Prodrive quickshift for 60K miles. Great vehicle..... The quickshift gave a very positive, mechanical, short travel change which I was always very happy with. I had no problems with the 2nd to 3rd change and I'm surprised that from the 7/Petrolhead perspective you are troubled... suggests all may not be perfect.

Certainly non enthusiasts sometimes found it a bit of a chore but then they like stirring porridge! Depends where you go but my opinion of the dealers was always quite high and it sounds like they have been quite thorough, although your first lot don't sound too on the ball. I guess you really need to try another one, or bring it round and I'll give it a blat for you 😬

V7 HPD

If you can get it to Crossroad in Stratford upon Avon they'll tell you what's what. My bro runs a high powered WRX and has placed an order for a very upspecced STi. He rates these guys. It's a bit out of your way so maybe you could call them first. I don't have the details I'm afraid. Sure they'll have a web site.

I have been having my Legacy Auto serviced by Listers in worcs until now. They're horrifically expensive and recently advised me that I need all new disks and pads, to the tune of £860. I declined at the time but heeded their warnings that they'll only last another 3000 miles max.

Whilst having some tyres fitted 2 weeks ago, I took the opportunity to check my disks and pads. Sure enough, the pads were shot. Down to their last 1 - 2 mm but the disks.... NOTHING WRONG with them.

I had the tyre company fit me some new pads and the brakes are fabulous again.

Lying, robbing bastians.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

I have a 98 Impreza STi which comes with quickshift as standard.

There are a few different quickshift mechanisms around including aftermarket non Subaru ones.

I think in the Impreza community it is acknowledged that quickshifts are notchy when cold (as mine is) but improve when warm. It shouldn't however be hideous. IIRC there was also a problem on certain years with a bolt at the back of the linkage which should be attended to ASAP, although you say that it has been looked at already so it should have been picked up.

There is an Impreza web board here where you can do a search under "Drivetrain" and probably get some ideas.

Neil.

Better to burn away and fade out, than to burn out and fade away....

Pretty much as with all cars, the gearbox oil is thicker when cold making the syncromesh less efficient and gear meshing more resistive.

Mine is normally fine by the time the interior heater has decided to come on (indicating that the engine is coming up to temperature).

Oh, and it isn't a device between the lever and box, it is just a different fulcrum point on the lever itself, that's all!

Neil.

Edited by - Neil F on 10 Feb 2003 17:52:28

Matthew,

Let me drive it and I'll give a diagnosis.......

The P1 Taxi I drove you to Curborough in *tongue* also has a very notchy change - takes a fair bit of getting used to, with only aboout 2" of throw between grars. I had a similar shifter on my RX-7 - and took it off again.

The S4 has a massive throw (6") (Fiona says 6" is massive) between gates and so I'll be leaving that as is.....

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke *mad* back @ 512k

AVES

Next time we're together, give the P1 a go and see if there is a difference. I'm used to the shift and find it pretty good, short throw and quite a positive feel. The long throw on the Audi I hate with a passion, you practically have to change which county you are in to find the next gear. It suits the Audi style of driver though 😬

I drove a 2002 STI last year (the only Scooby I have driven - a Subaru UK demonstrator) and the gearchange was just as you describe - horrible for road use. I even managed to mis-shift going from 2nd to 3rd going at full bore. Glad it wasn't my car as Igot 1st instead..... Managed to dip the clutch as the revs got to 7.5k.

Just sounds like your gearchange is 'normal', they all do that sir.

I haven't driven a 2002 STi but I can tell you that it has a completely different gearbox to the "classic" shape. It is a 6 speed item that is only fitted to the new shape STis so would not necessarily be a straightforward comparison.

I had heard however that once run in the new 6 speed is a dream to use....

Neil.

Arnie

I have driven an S4 though, so I have a comparison. Matthew, I'd suggest the gear change will alter with running in. Mine was quite "notchy" at first, it's now fine but probably the first couple of thousand miles it was a bit raw - as this was mostly running in it didn't really matter then.