Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cross flow to Duratec upgrade

blueyedbiker

Mistake in the title there old chap - you cannot upgrade from a crossflow, but you can make a change from a crossflow.

;-) *whistle*

On a more serious note, maybe Raceline? (raceline.co.uk). Peter McEwen built my crossflow so I'm maybe biased but they have done a lot of excellent work on 7s over the years and now produce very high quality Duratec stuff. Relatively near to you too? Burtons are Ford gurus too but not sure how much they would have that is 7 specific.

Good luck in your downgrade *hehe*

Andy

I am diy-ing this at the moment.

You will need a fuel pump feed to the rear of the car and a power supply to an ecu if you dont already run one? you will also need to add high pressure fuel line into the tunnel.

You will also need a new gearbox if yours isn't uprated and a shorter propshaft unless you want to fabricate engine mounts.

what spec is the cross low currently ?, injection ?, ignition ?. and what spec duratec are you moving to ?.

if it's carbs and dizzy, I expect your better off getting the complete loom removed and a bespoke fitted , looms are available from most of the ecu suppliers, then wire in an injection fuel tank and plumbing .

Thanks for the replies (I took it on the chin like a man, Andy).  What it's all about is that I sold my old live axle rocket some years ago (big mistake) and bought another chassis with a plan to install a rather mouthwatering X Flow that I'd acquired (roller rockers, 254 cam, '45's, etc).  Then work, a few seasons of Clubmans, kids, 'bikes and general decrepitude intervened.  The big problem is the SVA - the heart says keep the X Flow, the head says stick in a crate Duratec.  When the X Flow block was skimmed it took off the engine numbers so unless I can be creative with a set of punches it's going to be tough to prove it's pre '75.  I took the chassis back to Arch and Bruce reckons the Duratec will drop straight in but then there's the tank and loom mods and all kinds of other unforeseen hurdles.  So what to do???   

If the chassis already has a V5c then you'll not need to worry about an IVA. I converted my x/flow to Zetec and simply notified DVLA of engine change. For MOT it's still smoke only as test is based on age of car not engine. Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs or got the wrong end of the stick.... 

what to do ??

well simply you either get on with acquiring a tank, loom, coolant pipe work, exhaust and ecu, or you pay someone else about £3k in labour or you sell it and simply buy another car.

the duratec will fit in the engine bay - just as a zetec does but you also need to consider the axle and diff - is it strong enough ?.

please don't take this badly but it sounds to me like your not really knowledgeable enough on the requirements of this project to take it on yourself ?.

I replaced my xflow with a Zetec, lots of knowledge about so fairly easy to do, i specifically bought a pre emissions zetec so I could keep my 40's.

For the bits I used Dunnel, Paul is brilliant & ecu good, and exhaust from Raceline. I am currently 150bhp on the 1800, but can upgrade to 200+ fairly easily and reasonably cheaply

Again, thanks for the replies, no V5c with the chassis so as I don't fancy trailering it everywhere I have to go down the SVA/IVA route.  Gearbox, diff and axle don't exist as yet so workable around.

Not taken badly, I do have the knowledge/ability to complete the project but having been off the 7 scene for a while I'm out of touch with who does what these days so I refer back to the question raised in my first post - where's the best place to spend the £3K?  Raceline is a good suggestion for a start but any others?

Why don't you just rebuild your car around the 'mouthwatering xflow' you already have? Just include some 'modern' refinements of 3D mapped ignition for improved drive ability, and maybe fuel injection? Cheaper and easier in the long run surely?

I am facing a similar dilemma. My 1700 steel crossflow is no longer properly competitive in non L7 club sprints where some other kit cars are running various lighter 1600's with up to 230hp and electric flat shifts. I could go down the all ali big bore crossflow route but that is very expensive and would put me up into a class where it would be equally uncompetitive against even average Duratecs.   Fitting a Duratec remains an option but I don't have the garage time that I once had and the conversion would take me too long due to it needing a re-skin.    I think I am moving towards a decision to retire my seven which I have had 26 years, and buy a Duratec car to compete and then modify from a better equiped base car. I am being open minded, but Its replacement  may not even be  Caterham.  *frown* *redcard* *getmecoat*

Is your chassis new or second hand? There was a sad story on here of someone buying an unregistered race car, spent a shed load of money on it then tried to register it and turned out to have previously been registered and was stolen. Insurance company wanted it back!

If yours is second had be sure of the provenance before spending too much!

Regards

Ian 

Just rear your earlier post - if you have no V5 then you wont be able to IVA the car as it has no VIN (chassis number).............

Even it it has you need to apply for a V5 in case its an old written off chassis and theres a new chassis out there with the same VIN !

Unless you have both of these I wouldn't spend a penny on the car yet