Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alloy wing stays

Anthony

Does anyone know of a manufacturer of alloy wing stays ideally for 13" to fit over race wheels ?

I understand Len has these on the back-burner whilst the push-rod suspension is sorted ☹️

Anyone else out there ? Or if we have sufficient response perhaps we can persuade Len to put it higher up the agenda ?

Anthony - Don't underestimate how strong/rigid wing stays need to be - achieving this with aluminium v steel is difficult to say the least whilst achieving the objective of saving weigh.That said the standard Caterham ones are a bit on the lardy side aren't they.

Home of BDR700

Made my own out of ali bar. Very difficult thing to do, as I wanted them to work with both 13" and 15" wheels. Managed to half the weight of the originals. However extra bracing is needed as they are not as strong as the originals as Dave correctly suggests. You know they are not strong enough if you find that they flap in the airflow.

Perhaps what is needed is all in one carbon cycle wings that incororate a Y shaped bracket like side structure. This would surely reduce weight and allow a really close fit to the tyre, hence less drag as well.

If the side part was telescopic then all size wheel and tyre combinations could be catered for.

Lawrence

Thanks V7SLR, I have cut down wing stays at present. But having taken each corner off the car, I was astonished at the weight of the disc/hub/stay.

Not wishing to re-open any discussion over brakes/discs, wing stay is the next weighty item.

I am sure someone will seize the initiative ( plea for Len to say Ok Freestyle will have the made ?)

We are looking into manafacturing many different parts for 7s, mainly because of my own interest, but I can say one of the first items are wing stays ect, we are making these out of six mm nylon bar with a wire spine and these locate on the hub

into a reciever bracket thats threaded the nylon stays then screw into the reciever and held into place, simple, very strong

rust free and cheap.