Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Plain Windscreen Glass - Getting Some Cut - Experiences?

revilla

Just replaced my SV windscreen after the old one cracked. Replaced it with a genuine Caterham/Tyneside heated screen, but would now like to get some plain (as in, unheated) laminated windscreen glass gut to fit the old frame to have as spare.

I've removed the bottom of the frame and carefully pulled the glass from the rubber, leaving the rubber seated in the aluminium frame and undamaged. It came out in one piece so now I have a piece of glass for a glazier to use as a template when cutting me a new piece.

I've checked the glass thickness with a micrometer and it's spot on 4.5mm.

This afternoon I've called a couple of plant glass people and they have both told me that they've never heard of 4.5mm glass, it wouldn't be road legal anyway (minimum 6.4mm) and what they usually do for Caterhams is cut it in 6.4mm, ditch the rubber seal and silicone it into the frame, for which I was quoted around £140 because of the labour cost. When I told them that the 4.5mm glass was a standard Caterham/Tyneside supplied screen they were just confused.

What have other people done? Have other people retained the rubber seals and got glass cut to fit? Can anyone tell me anywhere I can get 4.5mm laminated glass cut (preferably legally kite marked/etched)? Leicester or Grantham areas preferable but happy to travel if necessary.

Thanks,

Andrew

Ahhh, it was on Pistonheads... http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=1&f=101&t=1525833

the post mentioned a Land Rover 90 screen:

Hi all,

Following reading all the comments I made some good steps today. 

I use this car mostly in the sun but you never know when you'll get stuck in some inclement weather! So on that basis a glass screen is the way for me to go. I called a couple of national windscreen people but they are of no use. I then called a local company - Car Glass & Trim Ltd, Windshield Repair Service, W End Rd, Ipswich, Suffolk IP1 2DZ - fantastic company, really helpful. They are going to cut one from a Land Rover 90 screen as these are totally flat and have the correct stamps etc. £70 plus the VAT has to be a bargain. The only down side is its not heated but I can live with that!

The side brackets/stantions are being powder coated by Hi Spec Powder Coatings, 3 Maitland Rd, Needham Market, Ipswich - also good service. 

Cheers for the help.

Ed

I had a company in Lincoln cut 3 for me at £20(ish) each.  I still have a couple spare but they'd be no good for you as they're for an S3.  All laminated and etched so fine for road use.

I'll have a google and see if I can work out who it was.

Thanks very much.

Can you remember if they fitted into the original rubber in the frame? 

I've spoken to Car Glass & Trim Ltd in Ipswich as mentioned above and they also say they would have to use thicker glass, then fit it in the frame with PU sealant. To make a nice job of it takes quite a lot of labour, so quoting £108. They say they could cut it from a Land Rover screen, leaving the relevant marks in the right place. Best I've had so far but £20 sounds much more appealing.

I only had them cut the glass for me, so did the removal and fitting myself.  I don't recall any issues with the thickness, certainly didn't change or remove any seals.  I'll measure the thickness of one of my spares when I get home.

Edit: That does explain a lot of the difference in cost however.

Auto motive glazing companies are the way to go, the sort of outfit that supply windows for the sides of coaches and similar, huge panels of flat laminate glass, whether they are 4.5mm I don't know, but it may be a start for you. Obviously it won't be a heated unit, but you say you are ok with that.

Down here in NZ I had no trouble getting a piece of laminate cut to shape / size from a national windscreen replacement company, all done on insurance, took screen in, collected 7 days later fitted, and glistening bright. 

Nigel.