Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ECU Identification

David Chesney

I have 1994 ex Vauxhall Challenge race car converted to road spec. The ECU appears to have a fault but there are no marks or stamps on the ECU to allow me to identify it.

The ECU is located on the bulkhead and is anodised red.

Any ideas?

The fault by the way is that the engine will start up and run from cold and after it has reached normal operating temperature it cuts out and will not re-start. Using my test light If I dis-connect the multi-plug from the ECU to the Crank Position Sensor there is no live feed.

David C

What's a scrut tag? A sticker? If so, and unless you're planning to use it in the series for which it was intended, peel it off.

If the box is anodized alloy then it must be openable. It had to be closed and it wasn't forged with the electronics inside.

Got a piccy?

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

The standard Vauxhall of the time came with fuel injection. When the Vauxhall engine was fitted in the Caterham they fitted it with carbs, only changing to injection at a later date. I'm pretty sure the road one retained the ECU from the Vauxhall road cars, Astra presumably, which was Bosch motronic.

The ignition curve was wrong for the race application so there was a rehashed version that the racers used with better maps, pretty sure it was still Bosch motronic. If it's been sealed then it sounds like an-ex race item so you've probably got one of them. Not mappable, late 80's technology and best changed for something more appropriate, newer and mappable. For a cheap check then try a standard 16V GTE Astra in the scrapper for something that looks similar.

Mr Chelspeed,

Thanks for the insight, I have checked the Vauxhall Parts Micro Fiche and it bears no resemblance to the unit fitted to my car.

I think your on the right track with the age of technology though as there appears to be no diagnostic ports on the unit either.

The search continues.

David C