Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Annoying indicator problem...

Nick Bassett

• Area Representative

As above really - first just to confirm ALL my hazard warning lights work absolutely fine & I have cycled the switch several times.

My right indicator works as advertised but when I move the indicator switch to the left all I get is a fast ticking noise but no left indicator lights come on - front or back. At first I thought it was a blown bulb but switching on the hazards confirms all bulbs are working.

Help!

Thanks

Nick

I'd go for the indicator switch or the relay/flasher unit.

Probably easiest first steps are:

1. Cycle the indicator switch and the hazard warning light switch several times and see if it gets better
  2. Check the connections at the indicator switch: wiggle, disconnect, clean and reconnect and see if it gets better.
  3. Swop the L and R outputs on the switch and see if the fault changes side.

Jonathan

PS: Do you have a wiring diagram and a multimeter?

• Area Representative

Good idea JK - I will switch the outputs and see if that makes a difference. Funnily enough yesterday the left indicator did work once, then it gave up again!

Is the dash mounted switch something that can be bought from any motor factors or only Caterham?

No idea where the relay/flasher unit sits - if this was u/s surely the hazards wouldn't work?

No wiring diagram or multi-meter - car is a 94 Super Sport.

Is the dash mounted switch something that can be bought from any motor factors or only Caterham?

You can get one with the same function very easily. If you want the appearance to match you can get it from Caterham and others.

No idea where the relay/flasher unit sits - if this was u/s surely the hazards wouldn't work?

Don't know: there might be internal faults that produce this pattern of failure. Changing the unit isn't difficult or expensive.

Recommended multimeter (because you're worth it):

51J4TXAGE0L._AC_UL115_.jpg

I find it helpful to have an additional pair of leads with little croc clips.

Send me a Private Mail with your email address and the engine and dash type if you'd like the diagram.

Jonathan

Did you swop the indicator switch connections as a test?

(As well as the switch and the flasher unit it could be a problem in the wiring. The speed of flashing of conventional flasher units depends on the resistive load. That's why they go quicker when a bulb fails and why some don't work with LEDs. It's just easier to attack the switch and flasher unit than the wiring as long as you know that they all work with the hazard warning switch closed.)

Jonathan

It's unlikely to be the flasher relay as it and its wiring are common to both sides.  It's more likely to be a connection to one of the lamps on the failed side - the hazards may seem to work okay as there is sufficient current for the flasher to operate at normal speed with one or two lamps only drawing limited current.  A faulty hazard switch or connection to it could also cause these symptoms so try squirting in some switch cleaner/ isopropyl alcohol.

Are you sure all the lamps are showing the same brilliance when the hazards are operating as, if the above is right, I would expect one of them to be dimmer than the others.

What model/year is your car as the wiring may vary between models?

Paul

Are you sure all the lamps are showing the same brilliance when the hazards are operating as, if the above is right, I would expect one of them to be dimmer than the others.

Ah. I'd forgotten that point.

What model/year is your car as the wiring may vary between models?

1400 K 1994. I've sent the standard K series Assembly Guide and that scanned 1400 K wiring diagram.

Jonathan

Nice simple wiring with lots of bullet connectors to go wrong.  Process of elimination of bad bullets and earths I suspect.

I like the idea of switching over the switch wires to eliminate from your enquiries.

Re the source of the switch, try the Durite catalogue or VWP (http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/1130/toggle-switch-off-on-mom)

• Area Representative

Thanks for all the responses - given me something to check over as it'll probably be something simple in the end.

That VWP company looks good - very reasonable prices too.

Is this side repeater the one used by Caterham?

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/877/side-repeater-lamp-ford-rover-type

The only thing I have noticed is the light bulb in offending repeater is quite loose - it's the type with a narrow glass fitting that slots in rather than screwed in, so wondered igf I should renew the repeater? I'm not sure how to tighten it - any ideas?

• Area Representative

Oh one other question - sorry to sound like a numpty, but what is the best way of removing dashboard switches - is it disconnect the connectors at the back then just pull out the switch from the front or what? Sorry, but not had to do this before!

Thanks

I fixed my Trafficator issue tonight, had a similar problem to the OPs in that the left hand indicator flashed quickly but the rears were lighting up not the fronts... I noticed.the wires were taught on the front indicator so pulled the wires towards the lamp and hey presto they work fine now, so I would check for too tight a wiring pulling tight on connections!!!.....

away to bed now feeling Smug!!..

• Area Representative

UPDATE: Switched the connectors around and when I indicated right using the switch, the left indicators now flashed, which I think is a good thing suggesting the wiring to the LHS is actually OK. When I indicated left, the right indicator just made the fast ticking noise that the left indicator would make when correctly wired. So I now think it is probably the relay - does this sound correct?

Thanks!

Good progress.

I think you now need to eliminate a fault in one side of the switch itself. You could do that in any of the following ways:

• A different switch. Could be just an on-off switch, one side at a time.
  • Hot wiring, one side at a time, the input and output of the switch with the ignition on, by touching the leads together (as in the movies).
  • If you're feeling nervous about doing that "live" then ignition off, join input to output, ignition on. Again one side at a time.

Jonathan

Doubt it's relay as this is common to both sides.  It has to be the switch but do as JK suggests just to be sure.  Hot wire it with a paper clip.  The only other remote possibility is that you have disturbed the wires in some way when you pulled the switch out and there's a dodgy connection, but I seriously doubt it.

The switch wire colour codes are:

light green            common (switch wiper/centre), comes from the flasher unit.
green/red             Left indicator, goes to the LH lamps
green/white          Right indicator, goes to the RH lamps

so joining light green to either of the other two should flash that side.

Paul

Just an update, mine was to things.

I replaced the relay as suggested above no change, so started to systematically work through indicator connections to main loom, as soon as I wiggled the front offside connection from the lamp pods to the loom the relay kicked into life (even though the bulb ws flashing), took the connector apart adjusted the cables reconnected and all seems good.

However the original relay still from time to to time lets out a harsh buzzing and neither side works, replaced again with the new one and that resolved that last issue.

So I have indicators again, took the car for a drive and the brake lights are not working now but thats a different story. :D

• Area Representative

Thanks for the suggestions & updates.

I need to play about with the switch & try not to kill myself plus I'll have a wiggle of all connections. I think it might be the switch at fault which should be a quick call to Redline & a cheap fix...

Will keep you all posted...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Area Representative

UPDATE:

Spoke to Redline who thought it was probably the switch - bought one from them which arrived promptly (thanks Redline *thumbup*), fitted it this afternoon and the problem is rectified!

Now to fit the lovely shiny Brooklands aeroscreen that was delivered this afternoon - thanks Ian. *thumbup*