Click here if you are having website access problems ×

rear brake wires

Paul_Hedley

I was finally able this afternoon to get the car up on axle stands, and get underneath to do a bit of a visual inspection.

There are electrical wires that run through the transmission tunnel, then out to the brake discs at the rear, one of which is barely still there.  Can anyone tell me what these are for (I'm guessing it's something to do with the brake fail warning system) and what part I might need to replace at least the one that is failing?  It doesn't seem to be far from the connector on the chassis to the wheel, so it's not a long section.

large_IMG_20160610_163708.jpg.1c138ab899894321c716ea46a8afec9d.jpg

Thanks

Paul

Further investigation revealed that whatever sensors these are, they weren't actually connected to anything (hence the lack of any actual wire in one not being a problem).  I couldn't see any magnets, so I suspect these were brake pad/disc wear indicators at some point in the past life of the car, though here's a pic of the two sensors (one of which broke as I was removing it).  Any thoughts?

IMG_20160613_211024.jpg.e6599e451b97bf248428e19fcc41df6b.jpg

Gone now - the diet my car seems to be on is losing substantial weight in wire at the moment (some of it pretty badly installed, as per the cable tie to a drop link, and running a main battery wire along moving suspension parts .....)

Thanks

Paul

Ah - that could well be right.  I think that at some point in the history of the car, it had some sort of traction control system - there's a dial switch to the right of the steering wheel which we think was something to do with that.

Thanks for all of your thoughts.

Paul