Click here if you are having website access problems ×

My 420R Build

Mucus72

My build continues slowly. Had a lovely holiday in Italy over the half term and am taking the whole build slowly because I'm simply not at home that much. Finished day 3 and am really enjoying it so far. 

Engine in next, over the weekend, but yet again, looks like I can only work 1 of the days over the weekend. Very therapeutic isn't it?

http://www.caterham420Rbuild.com

Hi Mucus.

I built my R400SV last year, over about three months with a month's holiday gap in the middle. My original intentions had been to take a long time but in the end I found it easier to build some momentum and get on it whenever I could. IMO the further you go the more you look forward to it being finished; it might get a little frustrating if you take it very slowly!

A couple of comments on your blog; the heater components are only loosely bolted together upside down for packaging reasons, it's fairly obvious why it's fitted the other way up, IMO, but it won't go in the wrong way, will it?

It's too late for you now, but I was reluctant to remove paint from the chassis/engine mount for the main earlier lead so fitted it between a bolt on the bell housing and a spare threaded insert on the passenger footwell panel, left of the battery. CC suggested is in conversation, after I contacted them because the earth lead was missing! From memory it takes a slightly longer than normal lead but I made my own up anyway.

Build looks like it's going great Marcus!

And just to confirm, you can fit the heater output vents in the wrong way around,,because I also managed to do that too!

Only realised my mistake when it went to BookaTrack for the post build and IVA,,and they said it was on the wrong way.

I think it's not a big issue, it still works ok, and as you say actually looks more right the wrong way around!

I believe the reason it goes in the other way,,is the smaller channels allow for some of the air flow to be directed down into each tunnel,hence keeping those areas by your feet, a bit warmer or cooler if you have it set to fresh air!

Nice blog *smile*

Just wanted to warn you that when I built my Seven in 2011, the 1 year warranty started from the day my kit was delivered, so I decided I would get it on the road fairly quickly to check everything worked.

I didn't build my first Caterham Jonathan. I have limited expertise, but a joy for learning. The most complex thing previously built from a kit would have been either a 1:10th scale radio control car, or a horrific piece of IKEA furniture ;) but I'm no numpty. I think it helps that over the past 5 years I have looked after my previous car, and would not have attempted many jobs on that if it wasn't for BlatChat. 

My cup is always half full, and when confronted with hundreds of random bits and bobs in unmarked or unclear packets, I simply laugh. 

All of the guys and girls on here over the years have really made a difference to my intense enjoyment of all things Caterham. It's quite cool that from tme to time I have given answers back as my knowledge increases, as in the early years it was a one way street! Weirdly though I still keep a low profile in real life club meets. I simply don't go ;)

I was told the warranty started from the date the car was registered. I certainly had a couple of issues rectified with no quibble well over 12 months after the kit was delivered. 

That's much better *smile* , it was in the small print when I ordered mine *rolleyes*

Another thought about warranty; despite the common tales of woe, I didn't and don't have an issue with the way my issues were handled. All my mails were replied to promptly, parts were issued without delay or discussion, and advice was readily available. 

This was directly with CC on two issues in August last year and March this. 

I guess that the S3 and SV are not that different when it comes to gaps between diagonals in the engine bay. The biggest obvious difference is width (in the engine bay), and until ancillaries and hoses go in, this would not be a problem. I also imagine that the width of the transmission tunnel would be identical in terms of the tightness of the 5-speed box fitting. All of the extra width is in the foot wells and cabin. 

I can't confirm any of this. All I know is that if it had been really easy yesterday, it would, contrarily, have not been half as much fun. I struggled to sleep last night because I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that the engine was in, and this from a mid-40 year old!!

I'm not so sure that it's not popular to build them your self actually!

out of the Superlight Twenty owners group, we have at least 10 members of the group that have built their cars.

we don't know all of the Twenty owners, as some of them have been sold via Williams And Oakmere dealerships, but we are pretty confident that those were all factory builds too.

But to echo the sentiment, it's a fantastic experience, which becomes more of an obsession , as this is my fifth Caterham build.

enjoy the fun!

• 2 weeks later...