Click here if you are having website access problems ×

exhaust mounting...gggrrrrrrrrrrr

caterhamnut

40 miles into a 150 mile trip down to Somerset this evening my rear exhaust mounting broke. Strapped it up for the rest of the journey with no problems.

The metal strap between the car body and the end of the exhaust has snapped, around the bolt. Despite lots or release spray etc, the bolt head has snapped off whilst trying to take it out of the chassis rail. I thought this might happen, as the front one (unused in this installation) has already sheared off.

Whats the best way to fix it? I thinking drill it out, slightly smaller diameter, tapp the hole and use a very slightly thinner bolt into the chassis? Any ideas?

ta

😬32,000 miles in 15 months! *cool* *thumbup*

angus@tinyworld.co.uk

Caterham pics

here

If the bolt broke while trying to remove it, then it is most likely seized. This being the case an easy out will not work unless the bolt was weakened by vibration. Easyouts really only work if the threads are in good shape. Best solution is to try to drill dead center on the broken piece and rethread to original size or drill slightly larger and either use a larger bolt or helicoil.

Good luck. *wink*

The trick is to get the first hole really central and in line. Get someone to help you line the drill up. If you look from above you can see if it's lined up correctly. Someone else needs to watch from the side. Dot punch and use a sharp 3 mm drill to start with.

Good luck.

AMMO

I just looked at mine (which hasn't been fitted yet).

Appears to be 5/16" unf on my car and bolts supplied are 5/16" unf / 3/4" long with 1/2" A/F Hex Head (assuming I've pulled the right ones out of the miscellaneous 'everything else' fasteners pack).

Hope this helps 😬

Last / another bit of advice -

to more easily see where to need to mark the hole centre use angle grinder or file to get the fave of the sheared bolt flush with the parent metal. (If grinder used then protect rest of car + eyes + wife from flying sparks which get everywhere and really b***** up the paint job)

You SHOULD be able to see a perfect, slightly darker, hairline circle which is the interface between bolt thread and the hole.

Now all you have to do get the punch in right place (the middle of the hole) and manage to hit it.

the rest is, as they say, a piece of cake.

Dave.

Why do we all find so many seazed nuts and bolts on the 7 Chassis???

Caterham should really look into this issue. I am getting sick and tired of dealing with bolts that won't come out even on my 7 year old chassis which is in good shape!

A ll standard, Classic 1.7 X-flow *cool*

Edited by - yw sin on 11 Feb 2003 13:39:51

all sorted - ta for advice!

Y W Sin - belated thanks for your email a while ago, and did you know there is a 'test session' day at Crois en Ternoise this Sunday 16th - we will be there - can't be a million miles from you near Paris? *wink*

😬32,000 miles in 15 months! *cool* *thumbup*

angus@tinyworld.co.uk

Caterham pics

here