Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil pressure

Alan Archer

Could you please tell me what oil pressure you have on your K series? I have a 1.8, X Power 140 bhp and not sure the pressure is high enough, seems low compared to my previous cars although they were not sevens. Thanks

Edited  to add, X Power 140

• Area Representative

4 bar hot and above 3000 rpm. Drops to 2 bar or lower when hot and idling. 

If you have low oil pressure check that the foam baffle hasn't disintegrated and blocked your pick up. Electronic gauges are also very unreliable or more importantly the sender unit for electronic gauges are poor. Move to a mechanical gauge or if you stick with an electronic gauge seal the gap around the spade connector on the sender with silicone to prevent water ingress. 

Very worrying, I only have just over 2 bar when hot @4/5000 revs, and when idling it is dropping into the red on occasions or just above. I only collected the car yesterday and it has had a service "including foam baffle". Are the baffles normally changed every service? 

What pressure readings are you seeing?

There's quite a history of the K sender giving problems, due mainly to its very exposed location and to its susceptibility to engine vibration.  The best solution is to replace the standard gauge with a mechanical one, but a workable alternative is to relocate the sender.  Plenty of info in the archives, but here's a useful thread to get you started.

JV

Are the baffles normally changed every service?

There isn't a simple answer and it's hotly debated. At one point the factory recommended that. Most people do it every few years.

Some engines have been damaged following fragments blocking the oil system.

One expert recommends discarding the foam and fitting a modified gasket for common configurations and uses.

Jonathan (Crossed with John's and edited)

Posts crossed, I think!

I suspect your sender is on the blink.  Re the foam baffle, the best bet is to remove it altogether as it's been known to break up and block the oil pick-up.  If you'd prefer to keep it, replace it at every oil change (ideally, every 6k miles).

JV

Thanks for the replies, umm, starting to wish I had not asked the question, 2nd day of ownership and it looks like I have opened a can of worms already lol.

I guess I need to speak to the dealer before I start to make any changes, firstly because I have a 3 month warranty, secondly I don't want to start messing about with it if there is the slightest possibility that there could be damage caused to the engine by the foam  already, sincerely hope not though as I am loving it so far.  

Oh, I had fun doing it especially the last 24h before I set off to Europe. AutoThink hose leaking oil. No time to replace the hose , decided to drive with the leak. Have done over 1000 mile so far and the leak is "OK". Didn't need to top up so far and only a minor "oil smearing".  

Also after I packed the seven and wife sat on her seat and waived to neighborhood the fan switch decided to stop working. Again no time to replace it and thankfully I have a manual override fan switch. I actually found the spa gauge quite useful here as it starts flashing red if I forget to turn the fan on. *biglaugh*

Morning John,

As per my previous post, I am definitely going to talk to the dealer before anything is done, I was interested in all the possible causes people were suggesting and to read all the available information on them and the remedies.

I definitely won't be doing anything major to the car as it is still standard as it left the factory at the moment.  

After three pages of comments I was getting worried that upgraditis might be setting in.

I would say a mechanical OPG is better and more reliable but if the standard gauge works leave it alone until it breaks. The foam is a lottery mine was still okay after several changes but I binned it in the end just in case.