Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X Flow starter replacement, Lrs110 solution (poss K series too)

Stridey

image_54.jpeg.120465970783bc1f56e1483fcd6ee9d1.jpegTo keep these very useful archives current, I'm posting about replacing my X flow starter.

After a few starting issues, (it 'coughed' on startup and just didn't seem to ever start first or second time, maybe not kicking in till 5 goes or more) I traced the fault to my starter giving up. 

I checked earths, hit it with hammer, etc, but just felt it was on its way out, you know that 'will it start? Heart in mouth feeling every time you stop.

Anyway, got a quote of £99 to refurb existing starter at my go to alternator/starter place...

Checked this forum for possible alternatives and contemplated an upgrade to the racier aftermarket starters. One alternative mentioned was the LRS110, so checked for prices online, found this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-SIERRA-1-6-2-0-OHC-PINTO-HIGH-POWER-BRAND-NEW-UPGRADE-STARTER-MOTOR-82-86-/271765788262?hash=item3f4680d666:g:3EcAAOSwh6xTtA77

​£79 delivered.

Ordered Tuesday, arrived Wednesday by DPD with one hour delivery window. I was a bit worried as the only real difference I could see was that I could see the cog was slightly less long and wasn't flush to the case (see picture), but it was obvious that once the solenoid engages the cog goes forward to the same place to contact the flywheel cogs. 

Fitting was easy, disconnect battery, put on ramps, undo 3 bolts (plus a fourth on block to ease access) undo positive and feed, put replacement in ( doing top bolt up fqirst to seat it properly) then tighten bolts up bit by bit. Connect wires again and battery.

Whooooosh! Keruuuuuuumppppppffffffff! Gosh what a difference. Just spins like a top! Delighted! 

Before fitting I weighed the old starter 3.9 kilos,  new one is 2.9, and it's rated at 1.4 kW. Now I know to many club members replacing a starter is no biggy, but I wanted to post this to encourage the tinkerers that it's a very easy doable job, under an hour. I'll report back if I encounter any problems.

Haha - you beat me to it!!! I ordered one of these for my K-series engined 7 and only used it 10 days ago. Works perfectly and wow what a difference! Any chance you could edit the title of this post to read X-flow and K-series starter replacement option?

Amazing that I logged on to post this exact same thing as you've done!!!