Click here if you are having website access problems ×

S3 2007 Fuel tank leak

john aston

My Seven is on a truck somewhere near Stirling  having expired  yesterday on A9 in middle of nowhere with a sudden and catastrophic fuel leak from tank . (Lost 8 litres in 1 mile whilst I found a layby). Coming from LH side of tank (towards bottom I assume given how quickly it drained ). No idea why- no warning . Car being recovered to  Auto Centre in Darlington who look after it.

Cause? No recollection of hitting anything or stone impact- common problem? I suspect not as can't find anything too relevant on a quick search  .Mind  you , given my mood patience is short *curse*

Cure- complex. ? Pricey ? Fix or new tank ?

Thoughts welcome .

Sorry to hear that. Think of it as an opportunity to check the hoses?

If it's in good nick otherwise and repair was less than half the price of a new tank I'd do that. 

What are you going to treat yourself to while you're sans 7 but not sans everything?

Jonathan

Grit under a fixing strap ? If so a small weld will fix it. I think Halfords do an epoxy patch that could get you mobile till a proper fix can be done.

8 litres in 1 mile sounds like a large hole though .....

Good luck *thumbs_up_thumb*

I thought the sender is in the top of the tank which, if leaking, wouldnt cause the car to stop or loose that much fuel IMHO. Sure it wasnt the pump/outlet plate on the side?

Not that it matters now its fixed - just good to understand the failure fully.

Regards

Ian