Click here if you are having website access problems ×

First daft build question

Mucus72

Exactly/ I was about to say that you could calibrate yourself a bit more by practising on one that's easy to get at with and without the torque wrench, but you've already done it.

And as a geek I hope you've worked out the correction factor for angular driving with a wobble bar...

:-)

Jonathan

It should be torqued up with the engine in and on the ground so the bushes are gripped at their normal rest position. If you torque whilst on stands when you drop onto the wheels you introduce a permanent twist in the rubber in the metalastic bush.

hope that makes sense.

Regards

Ian

From memory I used a long ball end hex socket on a torque wrench. Sets are available for not a lot of money. You could cut the short end off a ball ended Allen key then drive it with a socket.

Also from memory the manual says tighten the suspension in the horizontal position (?) which was fine for me, as the wishbones are about level sat on the ground, completed. 

Thanks guys. All these years I've been on here and passing the odd comment, now I am in that 3 ish month window of REALLY needing your help. Interesting comment about tightening the wishbones. As per Scott, the build manual specifically calls out torquing them up to their final tightness whilst each wishbone is horizontal, which I did. Made the shocks/springs easy to fit because it was exactly the right distance apart. Although I understand your point of view Ian, it makes sense too.