Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil temperature switch on R300

SteveP

Should there be one on an R300 with a dry sump? Reason being there definitely was one on the demonstrator which was fitted with just an Apollo and I had just assumed that there would be one when spec'd with a dry sump

Any reason why you can't have one with a dry sump system?

Cheers

SteveP

When you buy an Apollo kit you get the sender but no switch *mad*

Apparently there is some issue to do with SVA and using toggle switches away from the steering wheel area. Let's face it, if you can hit the dash with your head/shoulders in an accident whilst wearing 4pt harnesses you aren't going to care about being impaled on a 1" toggle because you will be looking up your own 🙆🏻[/rant off]

Mr L.

I have heard about that SVA thing but assumed (prob wrongly) that it was the 'having to reach across for it' mode that was the worry(?). I have the switch in between the two gauges and underneath.This seems fairly normal.

I have it 'pointing' either left at the water temp gauge (normal water temp) or right at the oil pressure gauge (signifies oil temp). Works for me.

I have seen sumps drilled and tapped to achieve a sender fitting point.

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

Chris

I got it direct from CC. The reason stated was that toggle switches are only permitted for SVA within a region around the steering wheel.

I have bought a spare dipswitch to mount as you say between the temp and oil press gauges and level with the indicator toggle. This will be left until post SVA *thumbup*

Ian

Be aware that although the original dry sump bell/tank housing had a hole tapped for a temp sender AND such a sender was included in the kit, this isn't necessarily the case now unless you specified such in your order. I helped assemble a new R300 over Christmas and found the bell/tank housing had the machined flat area where such a temp sender could be drilled and tapped, but no such hole existed.

It'll be a bit of a faff to remove the bell/tank housing to drill and tap it. Shame it's no longer done at source.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours