Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Does it matter which way up Bilsteins go?

Slipper man

What it says. I have Bilsteins on my R500 and wondered if you can turn them upside down. That way, the works of the damper are attached to the body of the car rather than the wishbone, so there should be a (no doubt impossible to detect!) reduction in unsprung weight, and it would be easier to adjust the ride height.

My fronts are upside down as I run post-96 length dampers on a pre-96 front end with 2.25" ID springs so needed to invert them for clearance. Actually, just remembered, all my Bilsteins are in a box under the stairs now! *biggrin*

If a damper is gas pressurised it can go any way up.  The Billie's are gas pressurised.

If damper is twin tube construction and therefore works by gravity such as the AVO basic models that tend to be found on our cars the body of the damper has to be at the bottom.

As for the increase or decrease of sprung or unsprung weight there may be some small gain or not but I bet the spring weighs more and in any case the weight will be equally distributed between chassis and wishbone or upright in my opinion.  Half hanging on the chassis and half pushing him the upright.

If you are able to feel any difference you must be a driving God! *angel*