Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rotary exhaust silencer

Miff

Am having slight problem with silencer.

It rotates over time so that the sideways pointing bit at the back eventually comes close enough to the road that it scrapes when cornering. This was a mild annoyance that had to be corrected every few weeks but now occurs as soon as i start up. Any solutions? When i replace the cat with a bypass will this solve it?

*confused*

Just a guess, but it may be that your 'jubilee type clip' is a couple of mm too big? You could try packing the outside of the joint with exhaust wrap bandage/glass cloth/similar and then clamp down on to that.

Or get a slightly smaller clamp. The firm 'Norma' do a big range of clamps - some of them are in the Merlin catalogue, page 24. Merlin are on 01249 782101

PS if it really is a Jubilee clip, it probably isn't wide enough for the job.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

problem now solved. (late reply i know but i thought it better to put the solution here).

The clip at the front (not a jubilee) had completely seized and could not be either loosened or tightened. Found that the silencer front pipe was ever so slightly elliptical with the clamp on and so by a combination of moving the silencer to an exaggerated (almost pointing up at the back) position and the application of more fire putty the thing has stayed in place. No problem with heat damage to the rear wing either.

Will now have to find some other part to mess around with.

Edited by - miff on 11 Apr 2003 15:48:37