Click here if you are having website access problems ×

12V socket not working

JonL

As the title. I ordered a new phone charger for it but still no joy. I was wondering if the fuse was blown, but not sure which fuse it runs through as there its one obviously labeled.

Any suggestions?

Jon

I've just given it a test with a multimeter and it is live (12.6V on idle and 12.3V with the engine off). I am going to take the socket out and see if it's something physical on the inside that's not making contact.

That sounded more likely than an unprovoked fuse failure.

"Cigar lighter" plugs and sockets often have problems making reliable physical contact. It's a pity there isn't a standardised alternative. If you need to change the socket consider something with built-in USB charging ports.

Jonathan

By way of completion, and in case anyone is searching 12V sockets in the future, I have just installed this from Amazon, as nowhere local seemed to sell one which had a USB socket.

It seems to work fine so far (30mins and counting!), has a USB socket, an inline fuse, and a cool blue light *bounce*

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017BJUCVE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jon

The previous installation had a hole through the bulkhead so I ran a long bolt through the handlebar clamp and through to a nut in the engine bay. Not elegant and I added some adhesive pad to make it a bit more secure. There are probably more appropriate fitting ones out there but I just bought this one as it was cheap and had good reviews ( and a USB socket which is the future! )