Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear ARB

Ian Barkley

I am struggling to see how the rear arb should fit, I have a sketchy drawing form the handbook which seems to show the mountings fitted to the boot floor - do you drill this out? At the ends it appears to link to the de dion tube on the fitting with the suspension arm, how does it mount?

Thanks for any help

Ian

Ian

I'm not sure whether you have got the newer or the older type car/ARB. On the later ones the arb fits to the lower chassis rails by two aluminium blocks. The arb is attached by an arm and linkage to the ears of the de dion tube. The arb fits under the diff.

If however yours is an earlier model the mounting is, as you say above the axle and mounts into the floor. the threaded fixings should be there and the arb sits over the diff.

If you have just bought the arb you presumably will have got the appropriate fixings for your model year. If you search the archives for arb or build diaries there are plenty of threads with photos to help.

*thumbup*

Ian

If it is a new kit, the chances are that the bar will hit the lower part of the diff. First you will see a ridge on the diff which will want grinding down. Secondly you will note that the alloy blocks on the lower chassis rail do not sit flat, the mountings for these are are brazed in. Rather thn grind them down countersink the mounting holes in the alloy blocks with a large drill so the blocks sit over the braze.

FWIW you might find attaching a rubber lined P clip onto the top of the block is a good way of running the wiring loom through as well. When you look at it the loom is fastened by Ty wraps in an accute right angle round the chassis which prevents the blocks lining up with the hole.

*thumbup*