Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

I washed my car and it wouldnt restart....

Nick Woods

Having washed my car today it refused to restart, the symptom being a click coming from the black box under the ECU when I tuuned the key (its a K-series). The ignition light came on but the starter wouldnt spin, and all the other electrics seemed ok.

I dried it all off and WD40'd everywhere and eventually got it going again.

The question is will WD40 and some grease on the battery terminals be enough to prevent this happening again ? Its been rebuilt following my crash so I guess a lot of the old gunge that was waterproofing it has been disturbed because its never done this before despite being out in several heavy downpours

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport, back on the road at last. See pictures of it being rebuilt here

• Leadership Team

Nick, it would appear that it's now behaving like many other k-series with the dreaded starter failure / click! It may clear itself, it may not. It seems that the strength of the signal running from the solenoid to the starter is not enough to fire the starter. See whether it corrects itself, but if not the answer is to add an intermediate relay - see previous posts, or I can send you details.

Stu.

Thanks Stu - When I was drying it all off I was thinking that I dont have the dreaded hot starting problem but this may now be the start of it. I'll try to hunt down the previous postings and may fit a relay as a precautionary measure.

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport, back on the road at last. See pictures of it being rebuilt here

Nifty - just have a word with Mr Hicks *cool*.

I turned up in his yard after doing about 40 miles in total (some with Adam and some on my own) and the car was covered in mud and sh*t - as you know there are quite a few dairy farms around naarfulk *eek*

Hence out with the bucket and sponge in the afternoon, followed by a nonstarting car afterwards.

Dont mention the bl**dy cats *mad* - there were muddy pawprints all over it the other day when one of them got in whilst I was in the garage.

Nick