Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

roadsport /supersport

grumpy the 7th

What's the difference in the roadsport & supersport?

I'm trying to get insurance & one company informed me to make sure I got a roadsport & not the supersport (or is it the other way round)??? as it makes a difference to the premium. I am looking for a 1.8 - 140 bhp & assumed that all cars of this capacity & bhp would be the same premium! (excluding the superLIGHT)!

Other companies don't seem to worry about the bhp of the car, others do. Some include track days & others don't and different anual mileages are quoted by them all.......... *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused*

rog heeley

PS. thanks Nick Henstock for the short blat in your's

any info & replies can be sent to me @ work 'roger.heeley@bt.com'

rog

1.8 & 140bhp = Supersport

1.8 & 120 BHP = Roadsport

Supersport has different cams and ECU map (still MEMS though)

Quick search through the archoves will give multiple insurance companies,most of which are used by people here.

Engine - what is a Supersport?

"Reprofiled cams

ECU to take advantage of above ["It is still a MEMS unit, yes. As well as a new map, it has other bits, like the shift light control. This was devised using a redundant 'area' in the ECU that would normally control the AC or something"]

Shift light on dash (or activated in tacho)

Different spark plugs" - Simon Lambert

Insurance companies

MSM - 01279 870 535

Hill House Hammond - 01733 310 899

TL Clowes - 01926 439439

Footman James - 0121 561 4196

Osbornes - 020 8388 6000

Regards,

Martin

Oops. Edited for correct info only. Taken from the BAT FAQ's

Edited by - mav on 9 Feb 2003 10:10:36

Roadsport was the range name given to all the non-superlight K-series cars a few years ago. ISTR it applied to cars both with and without the supersport kit, but i'll have to dig out my old brochures to check to see if my memory is playing tricks or not.

Regardless of that, as mav points out the supersport was a cam and ECU upgrade to the standard K's and the important thing to check is whether its fitted or not. Theres only about 20bhp difference so I'd be surprised if it made a huge difference to the insurance. For example, I am 41 and have a 1.6K supersport (138bhp) with no accidents and full NCB. My cover was £195 from MSM and they duplicated my NCD for my main car (ie kept full NCD on the original car and started a new policy for the 7). Unfortunately I have had an accident in the 7 ☹️ so I expect to pay a good bit more next time around *eek*

The SVA statement is now out of date though, there was a posting here which implies that a car which has passed SVA with a catalyst must also pass the same emissions test at MOT time, regardless of wether or not it was kit-built. In other words if you buy a car registered after August 1st 1998 make sure it either has a cat or you can get hold of one to fit it.

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport, back on the road at last. See pictures of it being rebuilt here

Mav

ref your post re 1.8L + 140hp = Supersport & 1.8L + 120 hp = Roadsport. Strangely, my new factory-built SV 1.8L/140hp is marked Roadsport SV on both flanks? It does have the tacho gear change light as standard which is a Supersport addition. No idea about the cams.

Roger

For the record, I insured mine though Egger Lawson @ £280 (full NCB) which included protected NCB, £200 XS, £60 windscreen XS, cover for Caterham track days and 45 days pa use abroad. The cover is for myself and my wife only with a limited mileage of 5,000 miles pa.

The insurance only refers to a "Caterham 7 SV 1800cc" - there is no mention of horsepower.

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp V11CPW Ruby Red with Silver nose and stripe see it here

Edited by - Chris W on 9 Feb 2003 00:57:40

Roger,

Nick is right - Roadsport is the 'range' of models whose overall specification is orientated towards road use. As a descriptor, 'Roadsport' tells you nothing about the state of tune of the engine (in fact, almost any K Series engine spec. could appear in a Roadsport body).

SuperSport refers to the specific tuning kit (spec. as per other posts) available on the standard 1.6 and 1.8 K-Series engines: this kit may have been fitted from new, or subsequently.

So, a Roadsport may or may not have a SuperSport-spec engine in it.

As Colin notes, all new engines are now badged X Power, so the Supersport badge has probably been superseeded.

Christian

C7 CCL - broom broom

Just to confirm what Chris and I are saying, I 've just looked at the Roadsport PDF file I downloaded last April, and it says that the Roadsport 1.8K has a Supersports option which ups the power from 122bhp to 140bhp. Thus I guess you can have a Roadsport Supersport *confused* although most people would probably just call it a Supersport.

If you want a copy of the PDF (its no longer on Caterhams website) drop me an email and I'll send it on to you

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport, back on the road at last. See pictures of it being rebuilt here

Nick

The price list your looking at is April 02. See the thread above and all new (03 spec) 1.8 are now 140bhp as standard. I got mine in November and it is the latest spec X Power. I think this is just a branding exercise, however, they have changed the spec of the engine since last year. Therefore the supersport kit (if it is still available?) will only benefit those with an earlier spec 1.8 motor.

*thumbup*

Colin

Is your X-Power engine marked X-Power on the cam cover? I saw a photo somewhere on the web which showed a green X-Power badge on the cam cover. I think it may have been the Rover site. I only ask because although my SV has an X-Power badge on the back of the car, there is nothing obvious on the engine to identify it as such.

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Edited by - Chris W on 10 Feb 2003 09:59:07

Hi Chris, no it hasn't, its just got an enamel caterham sport badge. Had Xpower on the invoice though.

I dont hink there's anything to get hung up over the X Power label, as I said earlier I think its just a branding thing with the contractual tie up with Rover.

I'm not complaining though, I got an increase in power for the same money as the old engines, and the latest spec. Saves splashing out on a supersport kit ( not as though I would have done anyway)

*thumbup*

Colin, I know - I was trying to find the pre- X-power info. I should said 'had a Supersports option' instead of 'has' 😳.

As you say the 'supersport' option has now gone - I thought I'd mentioned that in my earlier post but to quote homer simpson 'did i say that or just think it' *confused*. 😬

Nick