Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roger King Crossflow Head - Valve Stem Oil Seal Spec?

NORTH KENT ARS

Hi all,

My unleaded RK head, acquired S/H from Aeroscreens, is being refurbed ready for fitting. The valve stem oil seals are in need of replacement and are far superior to the Burton spec ones with the miniscule springs that tend to break and end up in the sump. The seals on the head are a blue/green rubber under a metal top hat retainer, glued in place. This doesn't appear to be a Ford part and a net search has thrown up various references on other forums (fora?) to seals from Nissan, Honda and Mitsubishi, but no details of models or part numbers unfortunately.

I'm sure Roger would have the answer if he still hangs out here? If not, anyone else?

I'm also wondering about the best way to remove the top hats as they're pretty well stuck on. Some form of solvent to dissolve the rubber and glue?

One final thing - one of the double valve springs is busted (which may have happened while compressing for removal as the break seems quite fresh) and I'm wondering about the best source and spec for the replacement set. The engine isn't revved to infinity and runs a 234 cam with standard Ford rocker gear.

TIA,

Crudders

Cheers, Sir Dick of Whereithurts *thumbs_up_thumb* Patience is one thing I do possess *wink*

I've identified the correct Kent Cams valve spring spec, which is VS7, but there are various internet spurts (we all know one) who reckon they are over-stiff and put unnecessary strain on already stressed valve gear. Probably borrocks.

Could the seals be from the Ford HCS engine? If nothing else, the ones I've seen for sale are the right colour.

Looking forward etc.

Crudders

I used various stem seals over the years and can only assume that are the original type that I fitted, but there is a good chance that they are a Fiesta stem seal, part number 6166533. This part number was current over ten years ago, but I have no knowledge if it has changed or not.

The seal shouldn't be glued on. It would have been an interference fit onto the guide and would require a puller to remove it, although you may well be able to encourage it off another way.

Hope this helps.

Thanks all :)

I'll try calling Paynes tomorrow. I've also found what appear to be OEM Fiesta OHV/HCS seals online which may be worth a punt for £5.00 a set.

I'll probably go for the Kent VS7 spring set in the absence of any other recommendations.

Just have to pull it all together now . . .

Thanks again,

Cruds

• 2 years later...

Any updates on this issue?

I've just collected my head from F J Payne, having had the exhaust valve guides replaced. They pointed out that the seals I had fitted we're too tight (double valve spring type from Burton Power) but they didn't suggest an alternative.

I had the head off less than 2000 miles ago and the valve guides were fine then, I'm wondering if these seals have caused them to wear out so quickly!

It seems what is required is a seal which allows enough oil passed to lubricate the guides but not so much that it causes smoking! 

Answers on a post card.......

Neil.