Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Uneven Brakes

Delberts Wallet

I seem to have uneven braking on the front of my car. Its quite noticable in the wet because one will lock up quite easily (Near side) and in the dry the car will pull to one side. I've bled them to make sure its not that. Just wondering where to go from here. I'm guessing its a strip down job?

Standard Calipers BTW on '99 De-dion. If I need to strip/clean etc where can I get the required stuff from?

Gareth

Blue and Carbon Supersport T561 LKJ

Edited by - gareth harrold on 8 Feb 2003 14:33:53

As the fronts are subject to the same hydralic line pressure it can only be either a pad defect or a siezed piston in one of the calipers - assuming the brake defect is at the front. If the ns wheel locks I would assume that te car pulls to the left as well. Os caliper is the place to look first.

Alternatively, on a car as light as the Cat don't underestimate the potential effect of a rear brake cylinder/piston sticking to cause wobblies under braking. Sierra rear calipers are single piston jobbies too so it's all or nothing.

Happy grovelling *confused*

Gareth,

I guess you have checked the obvious? Tyre pressures, wheel bearings, shock absorbers, suspension bushes etc, car not been kerbed or pranged

Just had a similar problem, MOT booked everything checked in the garage but a test drive found brakes pulling (car stood idle for 3 or 4 months). Repeated heavy application fo the brakes eventually sorted it and I guess it was a sticky piston.

Assuming you have not contaminated disc and pads on one side with oil or grease nor inadvertantly swapped disk pads around, and are sure you have bled them properly in the correct sequence, then I'd suggest you might have a siezed or partially siezed piston.

Starting with the off side, remove one pad at a time, clean round the protruding end of the piston with rag and a bit of meths. Once clean inspect for corrosion (there shouldn't be any) assuming there isn't, try forcing the pistons back into the calliper.there is a tool for this but tyre levers can be carefully used (note, excess fluid will be forced back into the resevoir), Put pad back in position (without it the pistons will pop out of the bores) and use the brake pedal to force the piston out again, repeat this a few times. Do the other piston.

Reassemble and road test.

Good Luck

allen

I am having a similar problem with my new-ish AP 4 pots. The offside right locks up earlier. I have today spotted that the Freestyle shocks did not have the same number of turns on the height adjuster (1 turn out - so about 3mm difference in ride height N/S to O/S (lower) -> less weight -> locking wheel). So I have evened them up and will await the next time I can get the car out to test.

I would hope that the calipers are OK (6 months old fitted by Ratrace) and the shocks/springs are about 3 months old (fitted by Gary - thanks).

So once, I have the basics right, then I would hope that things will even up - failing that I will be back for advice.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

This is a symptom of the REALLY OBVIOUS....

Check the pads are inserted with the friction material facing the disc!!!!

Here speaks someone who had a pad inserted metal to metal and drove 300 miles wondering why there was a slight brake pull to one side!!!!

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke *mad* back @ 512k

*thumbup* Brave man Arnie. For admitting it I mean; not driving like it!!!

Gareth.

I would think the 'sticky piston' syndrome would be at work here. You may well just get away with removing the pads and using a large piece of wood to lever the pistons in and out around while ensuring that one doesn't pop out. I had this problem last year due to inactivity/winter/damp garage etc.

Good luck *thumbup*

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

Thanks for the replies.

Arnie, Ive checked the pads and they are the correct way around *eek*

I'''ve also checked most other things. I've recently replaced the discs and pads and the problem was there before I did this. The shocks are OK and the tyres are both the same pressure and type etc.

I'll take the calipers off tomorrow if I get chance and look at the condition of the pistons.

Blue and Carbon Supersport T561 LKJ