Click here if you are having website access problems ×

"Elevated" floor

glasgow

My driver's seat is sitting on an inch thick plate. Looks like the previous owner modified the floor. 

If I want to remove that plate is it just a straight forward removal of the 4 bolts? anything I need to watch for?

(Have two seat belts, standard and 4 points)

here

Thank you

Ahmed

From the picture, my guess would be that it is a piece of plywood wrapped in carpet. If the bolts go straight through the floor, I would expect it to lift out once you remove the seat runners.

Looks like will need a shorter bolt as well. When buying a new one which one should I order-stainless steel, zinc plated, chrome,... etc I take it it has to be a strong bolt. does caterham sell these bolts?

Mine are M8 x 25mm into Nyloc nuts. In general it isn't wise to replace high tensile steel fasteners with stainless unless you understand their different properties. 

Most favoured supplier is probably Namrick (or eBay!). With the amount of work you're doing it's probably worth buying a Mixed Pack with a selection of sizes for stock. There's a Guide to the Bolt List and Fastener Packs.

Jonathan

PS: When you refit the runners you'll find that you have to hold the bolts still while you tighten the nuts. Some weld, some use a flat screwdriver to wedge the head, and some cut a slot in the threaded end and stop it turning with a screwdriver.

Jonathan 

You learn something new every day, I've never seen this done in a Seven before. As mentioned above once removed check floor for usual fatigue cracking from inner rear seat mount hole to floor edge (best to examine all of exposed Ali floor area whilst it's uncovered). The riser pad may have actually spread the load of the seat and thus extended the life of the floor, I wonder how long it's been there.