Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Questions about rear brake caliper bolts

glasgow

I am changing the brake pads for a 2003 car. Rear brakes are standard  caliper and discs. 

- The manual says 48nm torque for the bolts. Is this too much? (I didn't manage to achieve this 48nm, it felt too tight before the wrench locks).

- what does the colour on the bolt mean? the original bolts were blue. The new bolts that came with the caterham uprated rear pads http://caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=668 are pink. I only received 2 (not 4) pink bolts. Is there any difference in the colours. I ended up putting two old blue bolts on the inside rear and two new pink on the offside rear. Should they all be the same colour?

Thank you

Ahmed

Are you talking about the slide bolts (the ones you remove to change pads) or are you talking about the caliper bolts that attach the caliper body to the de-dion ear?

The assembly guide states 47nm for the body to de-dion ear bolts.  It doesn't mention the slide bolts because removing those isn't part of the build process (in theory). The haynes manual for the ford sierra rear calipers states 31 - 35nm for the slide bolts.

I have the scans of the relevant pages in the haynes manual that covers the rear brakes.  If you send me a message with your email I can send it over.

Although to be honest its not really that useful other than to look up those torque figures.