Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Just broke down in Wokingham

allegro

Not strictly true, as I hadn't even started the car. More to the point, it would n't start. Usual K starter blues, which I will chase in the archives. However, whilst fiddling with wires at the starter I came across a brown/yellow wire with a spade connector at the alternator. It was hanging/not connected to anything. Can anyone shed any light on it. Should it be connected to something 🤔 I have had to charge the battery twice in the last 2 months. Is this a possible cause 🤔

Andy Mac C7 GON

😬 Team Langoustine. Hard Core Prawn here 😬

There's a spare Yellow/Black marked on the wiring diagram as the optional return for an oil temperature sender with the anti-cav tank. This would be hanging around that area. Are you sure it's brown rather than black?

1.8K SV 140hp V11CPW Ruby Red with Silver nose and stripe

Edited by - Chris W on 8 Feb 2003 12:37:51

haVE JUST FITTED A REPLACEMETN ALTERNATOR TO MY 1.6 k SERIES.

THERE SHOULD BE TWO WIRES ATTACHED TO THE ALTERNATOR, ONE IS THE HEAVY BRONW LEAD THAT GOES BACK TO THE BATTERY, THE OTHER IS A MUCH THINNER LEAD THAT GOES BACK TO THE CHARGING WARNING LAMP ON THE DASH.ON MY CAR THAT CABLE IS COLOURED BROWN AND YELLOW.

THERE SHOULD A SMALLER CONNECTION POINT ON THE BACK OF THE ALTERNATOR. I WOULD SUGGEST THAT THIS IS THE OFFENDING WIRE.

Right. I've found the terminal where this wire has broken from, but how do you get to the terminal nut without removing the alternator. I cannot fit a spanner or socket near it because of an engine mount. Any alternative methods of rejoining this wire to it's terminal gratefully received.

Andy Mac C7 GON

😬 Team Langoustine. Hard Core Prawn here 😬

Yep found this at the weekend 😳 you have to take the Alternator off, connect the wires then refit it, or take the exhaust off undo the engine mount, mend the wire and refit the other bits

and if it's not obvious disconnect the battery before trying this at home *smile*

Mark

Edited by - F355GTS on 11 Feb 2003 19:35:04