Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

ECU update for R400

Fred

CATERHAM now have the revised update tune for the ecu on the R400 which offers

enhanced driveability both with or without catalyst fitted and improved emissions and performance has been finalised 😬 you can have this upgrade done by contacting caterham.

• 6 months later...

Hey,

does this mean that the R400 now pulls cleanly without hicups from low RPM ?? if so how low? I was lucky enough to have a ride in one and it didn't pull cleanly untill 3000 RPM. This really put me off the idea of getting one of the 'new' superlights and i stated to look down the tuned HPC route. I preferred these as the car would pull from as low as 1500rpm (even in 4th) cleanly all the way through the range. However, if the R400 now does this i would like to know !!

Also i don't suppose anyone has a dyno graph of their R300/R400 do they?? I would be interested to see when the power and torque cut in and the engines general characteristics.

Thanks guys.

Am very interested in the above so info would be gratefully recieved.

the alternative is to get an R400 without an ECU (is this possible) and get an emerald for it. I think maps now exist for the R400, if not then emerald will map it for you.

there's no reason for the engine to not pull cleanly from low revs if its mapped and timmed correctly. mine is a similar spec self built engine and pulls cleanly from about 1000-1500 rpm after a few hours mapping at emerald.

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R

If it didn't pull cleanly in lower revs, then check the ignition leads and such like. I think darrenf on here had a similar issue with his R300, and IIRC it was this that was the cause, not the engine itself being temperamental (which it isn't BTW, at least not in my R300)

SteveP

It wouldn't take much to source a second hand Rover engine loom to implement an M3DK onto a new R400 although I agree that the warranty may be questioned... but you are more likely to badger your engine with an incorrectly mapped ECU than a correctly mapped one.

My R400-owning friend has been asked to leave his car with Caterham Midlands for a couple fo weeks while they try to understand what's going on with it. He politely declined, advising them to sort it out on their own car and then notifying him when he can collect his new map.

Better to just publish the access codes and let owners sort it out themselves. Seems there is a better history of owners mapping cars properly than Caterham although for the life of me I can't think why.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

hey, thanks for the responses. At what rpm does the power initially kick in? I see that the Max torque runs out at 5750rpm, that seems quite high. Thus when does it start to shift? 3000 rpm??

opinions please

I did indeed have some running problems with my R300 (EU2 engine / MBE ecu) 3 months or so ago and it went back to CC. It would not run cleanly or pull from below 2500rpm, pretty much as dom1 describes. It was cured, I was told by changing the ignition leads as Caterham 'had a faulty batch' of leads with the first engines (the first 50 R300s were EU2s 🤔).

It was fine until a couple of weeks ago when the problem reoccurred *mad* and it went back to CC again. It has been cured again, but this time it had the throttles 'balanced up' and the ECU changed to the 'latest type' (it has a different MBE box). The car runs differently now- it now seems a lot more civilised (pops and bangs have gone 🙆🏻 *mad*) but it pulls a lot cleaner from low revs and it is all together more restrained. (I wasn't sure if it was running differently simply due to higher ambient temps, but I don't think this is the case).

CC have been excellent in getting the problems sorted (no complaints there), but I was more than a little concerned that the problem reoccurred and was explained with 'engine characteristics do change over time'. That didn't seem right to me (anyone care to comment?).

So I reckon that I have now got the (or some form of) latest ecu development. I'm not all together sure if I'm happy that the car has lost some of its 'rawness' (after all that was part of the appeal), but if it makes it more driveable…………..?

I will have to wait and see if it finally cures the low revs problem. My only nagging concern is whether CC be interested in any ecu-related running problems when it is out of warranty?

darren f

The Building of R300SEV is Here

Darren, I have always found CC to be first class re warranty probs. If you are worried then mention it before the warranty expires ("if this problme happens again over the coming months you will see to it won't you even if it is outof the official warranty period?").

Hoopy said "Caterham have been selling R400s for about a year and they've still not got a map thats any good". If this is the general consensus of us lot (L&C7 Club) then we should ask CC (maybe Jez) to tell us (maybe in LF) what they have done and what the problems have been and whether they are cured or not. It is in CC's best interest to dispell a poor reputation either by addressing the problem or telling us how it's been addressed. Would make a good LF article anyway...we don't get enough CC content in the mag anyway.

Graham

True, I've got no complaints thus far- on both occasions the car was sorted (albeit I've had the hassle of getting it there).

I agree that perhaps CC ought to more open about what is going on with the R300/400 ECU situation. Unlike the R400, they have never really admitted to a problem with the R300 mapping- I was told some time ago that there was only one map, yet now they have produce an 'updated ecu'. Strange *confused*.

As I already said, if the map is in continual development, will it be made available retrospectively?

darren f

The Building of R300SEV is Here

i don't think you can answer it with a graph. my power plot shows a bit of a dip at 4500 but its hardly noticeable (even when looking for it). I assume the R400 has similar cams so will be similiar in delivery (if properly mapped / timed). From 1000 rpm up it really does feel pretty linear until it starts levelling off at 7000+

HOOPY

R706KGU Hoopylight R