Click here if you are having website access problems ×

"Must Have" Safety Upgrades

JosephClarke

Hi All,

Now don't get me wrong under no illusions that the seven will ever win any NCAP awards and of course that is not why I purchased it, however I would like to take friends and family out in the car from time to time and am keen to do what I can to make it as safe as possible through reasonable little improvements.

I have already installed a high level brake light.

The car is a 2002 car so has honeycomb side panels.

What else are good sensible to do, I see on Caterhams store they do honeycomb panels for the petrol tank I assume this is to help stop it getting pierced?

What about engine mounts, I have read before that caterham updated them to reduce chances of the engine separating from the chassis in a crash, would my car have these or can they be added on?

Anything else anyone recommends for road use?

Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this forum :D

Windscreen not sure what you mean but yes the car has one, am glad as it's saved me from a few stones already.

State of mind. Overwhelms everything else. - will try.
Driving instruction. plan to, want to get some lessons in somewhere on Norfolk
/Suffolk border

Tight harnesses, possibly 6 point, but at least 4 point. I have 4 points, looks like you can add the others to the exsisting harness? (luke/caterham branded)

Hearing protection. No, sorry but that would spoil the fun.

I've fitted a side impact protection bar to mine, one of the newer ones that wraps around the door.  Unfortunately it's only the drivers side that can be strengthened this way. This in theory combines the old separate diagonal side impact bar and the rear wheel intrusion bar and allows the door to be used. 

Sorry to go all morose on you, but the side is the most vulnerable and weakest part of the car and in my 12 years of ownership I've heard of one fatality and another person hospitalised (full recovery) through side impacts. I don't think I'd ever run a 7 without it now. 

What else? Apparently shin/ lower leg injuries can happen in an accident as legs flail and hit the chassis on the top of the tunnel, so some pipe lagging or proper impact foam here could be easy. 

I have a small fire extinguisher in the passenger footwell. Drive with dipped headlights on, have a bright coloured car. Louder horn. Consider a sealed battery - no battery acid to drip out and stain the floor or legs, but also weight saving and won't spill acid in a bump. 

Mine is an ex race car, so has the Ali honeycomb boot floor, under tank, rear protection panels and one side of the fuel tank. 

definitely fit proper seatbelt, I prefer 6 points for the driver they hold you very snugly and the extra faff over the 4 point is neither here or there. 

Apparently shin/ lower leg injuries can happen in an accident as legs flail and hit the chassis on the top of the tunnel, so some pipe lagging or proper impact foam here could be easy.

Common or garden pipe lagging takes very little energy to compress. It might just prevent minor nicks or abrasions but no more. How good is "impact foam" or similar?

Thanks

Jonathan

I would check the age of the tyres. There is a four digit code on the sidewall. The first two digits are the week of manufacture, and the last two digits are the year. For example, if the last four digits of the DOT code are 0211, that means that the tire was manufactured during the second week of the year 2011. I would replace if over 5 years old with a tyre suitable for 7 avoiding ditch hunters such Michelin Pilots and Avon CR322's.

I am glad someone else commented on impact protection - I think both Tom and I think of the same person regarding side impacts

I would additionally have the Roll over bar with the "X" bracing , commonly referred to as the FIA  or Trackday bar -

Additionally as Mark points out the only contact with the road is the bottom of the tyre so do not scrimp here - we all have our favorites

But has been pointed out in many of the post a driving course will be advantageous but the best saftey feature is correct and thoughtful use of the feet on the pedals !

What Dartmoor7 said, +1.  Drive defensively, leave plenty of space between you and the car in front, because their brakes will be better than yours - especially in the wet, and that way you also have better visibility for overtaking.

Ear protection is a must.  I have hearing loss and tinnitus as a result of working in an industrially-loud environment before health and safety, and ear protection, was invented.  Believe me when I say you don't want the same.  Check out the custom ear plugs in the discount section.  I have these and they work well. Alternatively consider some Peltor I or Peltor II ear protectors.  They are a bit warm in Summer, but they keep your ears warm, and your hat on, in Winter.  Don't forget your passengers.  Especially kids.

Eye protection is sensible, even with a windscreen.  I've found that polarised lenses are best in bright sunshine, but that Transition Lenses are best overall.  Wraparounds are best, and ballistic lenses are a must if you go aero.

Tyres have been mentioned.  Well worth checking the age as suggested, but also consider your potential usage, i.e. percentage of road vs track, before selecting, and Winter tyres are sensible for the colder months.  I run Avon CR322s from Caterham on my 1.4K.  Perfectly adequate for road use and they clear a lot of water, which many track-oriented tyres don't.  Since they've been manufactured in the UK, rather than China, the compound is softer too, so they are better than their reputation.

Finally, don't be tempted to race White Van Man, and kids in Novas, when they drive a foot from your bumper........

• Area Representative

I have had two sevens, one for 25 years and the present one for 6 years. I am also very deaf and have worn hearing aids for 25 years plus. I wear ear plugs for every journey to protect what I have left, which is not much. Yes the 7 makes lovely noises, but it isn't just the exhaust, it is the induction and wind noise. On long journeys, it will irreparably damage your hearing, so please ensure you don't end up with hearing loss and protect your hearing.

Piers

Thanks Tom, this was a really helpfull post and exactly the sort of info I was after,

Regarding the side bar, is this the sort you mean?

http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=4993.

Is there a reason they are not available for both sides, lack of mounting points on the chassis?

I am going to look at if/how I can upgrade the harnesses to 6 point or f I will need to change the whole lot.

As for everyone else thanks for all the advice, I have buckled to your knowledge and will order myself some hearing protection as well.

Tires are 2 year old CR500's.

Hearing protection is a must and  for passengers as well  , I always carry a fresh set of foam plugs for this purpose.   Eyes, its not just stones it the drying effect of the airflow so always have good wrap-a rounds on and a set of clear goggles for night time.

Drive with your headlights on , some say it can be intimidating but I'd rather the odd knob think that and the majority see me .

I have a side intrusion bar fitted for the reasons outlined in the above posts,  the exhaust on the passenger side does make it more difficult to fit but I do know that people have fitted the left had drive race version that Caterham sell

Think that  everybody has not seen you ,  treat them all as idiots and give them space.   I find its better to pull over and stop if someone behind or in front is playing the numpty , let them go and enjoy your drive without them. I fell foul of it once and was very lucky to not suffer a big one when they deliberately forced me into the on coming traffic (3 lane road).   Choose your moments to enjoy your car and remember that not everybody appreciates your love of driving.  

I would say that if safety worries you that much then a 7 is not the car for you drive a Volvo on the motorway

Yes, thats the side impact bar I have.  I didnt think there was a passenger side on, but Nick suggests there could be.  The main issue will be the exhaust on K series cars, the mounting points will be there as I think they are standard.  Stiffening up the RHS and LHS of the cockpit must be good for more rear end crash protection in a discrete way.  I dont fancy a full cage, but could be good option to further explore. 

If you've already got 4 points, adding a 6 point crotch loop is easy.  I much prefer the 6 - the harness doesn't ride up you chest, and hold you much more securely.  Ive got the Caterham 'race' 6 pointer, with the metal hoops for the crotch strap webbing.  Also the shoulder straps are 3inch rather than 2inch, meaning impact loads are spread better on your upper body.  Have a look at Titon (I think) race harness if you dont want to spend the extra at Caterham.   

Another one Ive just thought of - a removable steering wheel - will help egress in a shunt. Also dont forget being seen from behind - high level brake light and improving the fairly poor rear lights isnt a bad thing to do. 

The cars can be made safer by relatively simple upgrades - its never going to be a Volvo or NCAP5 rated  - but with good tyres, a full race harness, defensive driving and being seen, they can be improved.  

All this safety sharing - its a bit like being at work! But us all learning from each other and taking on board hints and tips should help keep us all a bit safer in our pride and joys. 

Thanks as every your advice is great, yes I have caterham four points at the moment look to be rebranded Lukes will look into getting the rest to make it six point, I may post link here before I buy to ensure I get the correct bits.

Going to get side impact bar in next few weeks as funds allow.

Regarding comments about being worries about safety of seven, no it's just my OCD nature I am afraid. As the car is new to me I have a list of things in my head I want to work through/understand about her to get the most out of it. Thus it's mechanical maintenance, preventative body maintenance and safety first.

Then I can start with the fun upgrades.

Regarding comments of driving style I am much more of a Sunday afternoon country drive crusing person than a road racer, I know most people love the Caterham for it's race car for the road side but to me I see it as more of a Tiny fantastic to drive Morgan with fascinating engineering and history.

Cheers all

And don't worry I am getting ear protection, lesson learned!

Joseph

I'd also recommend going on a track day - particularly one of the club ones. Not to get you hooked (although that may happen) but to truly appreciate how good these cars are. Knowing how they handle towards the limit will give you much more confidence on the road. In the dry, a 7 will go, stop and corner better than the vast majority of cars on the road. In the wet though, this is not true - you can provoke the rear end to oversteer/spin if you don't use your right foot carefully. You don't have ABS either. 

If you have only driven front wheel drive cars before, get some driver training about how rwd cars behave. 

If you have only driven modern cars (electronic throttle) you may be surprised at how much they manage what you are asking the car to do. Mash the throttle in a modern car and a combination of traction control and engine management (trying to be more fuel efficient) will apply the throttle more gently than you did. In a 7, you will get exactly what you asked the engine to do....

Steve